Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2003 :  3:26:27 PM  Show Profile
Like all right-thinking programmers (), I hate this style of commenting:
     /*nStartItem*/

Could there be a checkbox in the Options dialog that would place spaces appropriately when I select some text and then press "/" or "*", so that I could get this instead?
     /* nStartItem */

Thanks!

keithb

USA
19 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2003 :  5:56:59 PM  Show Profile
I must be a left-thinker. Just to give my two cents, I noticed my style changing to use less horizontal whitespace (in general) after switching to VA (years ago). The contrast between the various colors offers enough of a break that I don't need so many spaces.

That said, comments are all the same color and that doesn't really apply to the statement above. Still, for short comments I don't add spaces inside the comment markers. (For multiline comments, however, I do.)

I don't know the point of this post other than to give a little insight into the way I work.

-keithb
Go to Top of Page

partnerinflight

37 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2003 :  9:10:12 PM  Show Profile
Actually in a more general sort of request, it'd be nice to have a set of spaces-between type settings. For instance, my group's style guidelines call for spaces after if, for, while, and switch, but not for function calls. (Go figure, right?) It'd be nice to be able to specify which keywords/key combinations automatically insert a space before/after themselves... like a template of sorts

So you could then write something like:

/*<space>
<space>*/
if<space>
while<space>
etc

Edited by - partnerinflight on Dec 30 2003 9:12:06 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: