Main Site | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
User name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your password?

All Forums
 Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Group member listbox by ancestor where last coded?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nels_P_Olsen

USA
47 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2004 :  1:46:49 PM  Show Profile
We're trying to steer our boss towards a coding style where the code is actually readable and readily intelligible by someone other than its author. This involves not abbreviating stuff, using nouns/verbs/adjectives in the appropriate context, and ditching Hungarian notation. (The de facto Hungarian notation currently used in our code is a carryover from PowerBuilder, with strange additions, resulting in many misnomers, and is inconsistently applied, making a mess ...)

The biggest barrier at this point is the objection that dropping Hungarian notation prevents us from controlling the sorting in Intellisense member listboxes. My boss wants to see all "his" stuff separate from System/Microsoft stuff, and also wants to see his stuff subsorted by member type (field, property, method, event, etc). He says the listboxes are intolerably large and jumbled unless he uses his prefix scheme.

His approach still doesn't deal well with overriding or implementing a member defined in the System/Microsoft namespace -- is it "theirs" or "ours"?

A nice feature to have would be grouping the members by the full type name in which they are implemented or last overriden. This would free us from the last hurdle in the battle against cryptic identifier names ...

- Nels

mrcode925
Ketchup Master

USA
54 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2004 :  2:41:05 PM  Show Profile
Ouch. Does your boss hitch his car to a post in the parking lot every morning? New tools = new way of doing things. I can't remember the last time I wanted to check the value of g_oAcct.m_dIntRt instead of just Account.InterestRate. How can he justify the old way as productive? Oh well, mine is but to wonder... yours is but to suffer.

If it starts to make sense, you're in a cult.

Edited by - mrcode925 on Jan 07 2004 2:41:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2004 :  3:27:46 PM  Show Profile
That's an unfair analogy. Can you spot the potential bug in this code?

if (0 == Account.InterestRate) ...

How about this code?

if (0 == Account.dInterestRate) ...

The "d" wart means that variable is a "double"... knowing at a glance that we're comparing a floating point number to zero (oops!) helps me catch this bug more easily. And I am four-square behind anything that does that.

Edited by - LarryLeonard on Jan 08 2004 08:37:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

Nels_P_Olsen

USA
47 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2004 :  3:31:03 PM  Show Profile
Well, if you're part-owner of the company, no justification is required

- Nels
Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2004 :  04:35:00 AM  Show Profile
The real bug is that you're assigning, not comparing.

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2004 :  08:39:30 AM  Show Profile
The funny part is, in real code, I always put the non-lvalue on the left just to avoid that bug... I've fixed it now...
Go to Top of Page

mrcode925
Ketchup Master

USA
54 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2004 :  09:16:26 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by LarryLeonard

That's an unfair analogy. Can you spot the potential bug in this code?

if (0 == Account.InterestRate) ...

If I am not mistaken, that bug is due to assumptions about the precision of doubles and does not have anything to do with comparing and int to a double. The int will harmlessly be promoted to a double for the comparison. You have the same problem comparing one double to another. This is a more fair analogy.

Account.InterestRate = ".029";

You will get a compiler error here. What do we do about it? Easy. Place the insertion caret on InterestRate and voila! VAX tells us that InterestDate is a double. If you are lazy, just hover over it and a tooltip will tell you the same thing.

If you really want hard work, you can read the compiler error which says that there is no type conversion for character array/string to double.

VAX goes one step further and shows yout that InterestRate is a double when you are writing the code to begin with so the error could have been caught during original development before Ctrl+Atl+B.

Alright, I am going a bit overboard here, but it is a little tongue-in-cheek. The point is that there are new tools now. If we were delevoping software in Notepad or the ancient Developer's Workbench for DOS then hungarian is a sensible option. Today, it is not only overkill, it has the potential to become confusing.

// 07-29-1998   header file for Account class
    //              this file is included everywhere
    //              an account object is used and
    //              members are read directly for speed

protected:
    double m_fInterestRate;  // 05-14-2001 Increased precision
                             // to double for new calculations

Oops! See the potential for bugs here?

If it starts to make sense, you're in a cult.
Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2004 :  09:46:59 AM  Show Profile
You know, there are both advantages and disadvantages to Hungarian notation. We can probably all list several factors on each side. Different developers rate different factors higher or lower, and thus reach different conclusions about whether Hungarian notation is a good or a bad thing overall. De gustibus non disputandum est.

(And that bit of philosophy is enough to promote me to Guru ).

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2004 :  09:53:08 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, it was a bad example, but there's a very good reason for that: I was too lazy to come up with a better one. (Yours isn't any better, though - all I have to do is change m_fInterestRate to m_dInterestRate and let the compiler catch the changes for me, or use one of our wonderful modern search and replace tools). Unless there's already a m_dInterestRate - better check for that first.)

Regarding Hungarian, I agree with everything you've said... in a perfect world, full of code written only by you and me, or by programmers at least as smart as we.

But bitter, bitter (I mean bitter) experience has taught me that Hungarian notation is extrememly useful when you're reading code that appears to have been written by a batallion of malicious, retarded monkeys. Which, for me, sadly, is pretty much every day...

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2004 :  10:06:22 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by LarryLeonard

... code that appears to have been written by a batallion of malicious, retarded monkeys.

So you are the one working with my ex-colleagues.
Go to Top of Page

Nels_P_Olsen

USA
47 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2004 :  11:30:53 AM  Show Profile
All too often, the Hungarian notation I encounter is stuff like f_ prefixing methods, o_ preceding arguments (why o_ ?), i_ preceding instance variables, or l_ preceding locals. This doesn't help worth crap, it only makes the identifiers more clunky.

When prefixes do contain warts indicating the datatype, it often provides the excuse that a sufficient name has already been created by the prefix itself, so you end up with identifiers like lo or str1, str2, str3 ...

Here's a particularly horrid example of code I have to deal with, plucked out of an "elegantly" organized function 500 or more lines long. How has the intermittent use of Hungarian notation helped here?

(Notice how the author likes to put comments trailing individual statements, as if it were assembly language ... written like this, it might as well be )

if j > 0 then
    // last one is screen's title...
    ls_parms.string_[j + 1]="Select Enclosures"
    ls_parms.boolean_[1]=TRUE		// multi-selection....

openWithParm(w_get_strings,ls_parms)

ls_parms = Message.PowerObjectParm
    if (ls_parms.boolean_[1]) then 
        tot_encls = UpperBound(ls_parms.string_)
    else
        tot_encls = 0                  // interrupt
    end if

if tot_encls > 0 then
        // Populate enclosures...
        lu_stack = create u_stack
        for i = 1 to tot_encls
            str1 = trim(ls_parms.string_[i])
            k = len(str1)
            for j = k - 2 to  1 step -1
                // We need only last part enclosed in parenteses...
                ch =  mid(str1,j,1)

if ch = "("  then
                    str2 = mid(str1, j + 1, (k - j - 1))
                    // d_enclosure has fields: encl, qty, recordid, act_key, numb_, desc.
                    //  Any change should be reflected here as well...
                    str3 = str2 + "~t" + "1" + "~t" + "~t" + string(o_act_key) + "~t"
                    lu_stack.uf_pipe_in(str3)
                    // insert into gmin_mncl (act_key, enclosure,qty,numb_) values (:o_act_key, :str2, 1, :i) USING i_SQLCA;
                    EXIT
                end if
            next
        next
    end if
end if

- Nels
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2004 :  11:49:54 AM  Show Profile
quote:

... stuff like f_ prefixing methods, o_ preceding arguments (why o_ ?), i_ preceding instance variables, or l_ preceding locals.

...you end up with identifiers like lo or str1, str2, str3 ...

... the author likes to put comments trailing individual statements...

Ewwwww .... That is horrid - no wonder you don't like Hungarian! And I love the use of i, j, and k as variables - that sure makes it easy to follow!

All I can say is, Hungarian can't save coding style like this, but abusing it can sure make it worse... Well, I wouldn't like ice cream, either, if someone covered it with poop and shoved it my ear... Good luck - I thought I had it bad!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000