New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2004 :  6:20:26 PM  Show Profile

Here you see a tooltip for a function where the closing bracket is missing. Though it is only missing when i type the comma in the following text.

m_cList.InsertColumn(0, _T("Client"), LVCFMT_LEFT,);

Delete the comma and the tooltip is shown correct.

Here is one suggestion for tooltips in this case: VA shows you the function call for the current line, if there are multiple possibilities, it shows them as scrollable tooltip.
However, it could recognize which function calls match the current text and show the proper tooltip for it.
In the above case, I am clearly going to use the second definition of this function which takes more than two parameters, yet VA still shows me the first.
I think that even when the logic is based only on the number of parameters (commas) in the current line it is already better than now.

pabloari

Spain
24 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2004 :  01:40:41 AM  Show Profile
I totally second your suggestion. I think just checking the number of parameters would be really useful and handle most cases.

And this bring to my mind another suggestion that would save me tons of time. When you select a function name from a member or autocomplete list, VA inserts the complete function name and the brackets, then places the caret inside the brackets, so that you can type in the parameters. But there are a lot of functions that take no parameters. It would be great to have VA keeping the caret after the brackets in this case.

Another good use for the 'parameter counting technology' would be to red-underline function calls that do not match any of its definitions.
Go to Top of Page

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2004 :  04:53:09 AM  Show Profile
Hello all,

This is an old question, please also take a look at: http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=518.

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000