Dismal performance of VAX
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

willdean
Tomato Guru

134 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2004 :  08:24:30 AM  Show Profile

I've been on this beta for a few weeks, and am religiously using VAX under VS2003, on a twin 3GHz Xeon with 1GB of RAM.

I find that the performance in the editor is absolutely dismal. This is *without* having any of the 'dynamic' tree views showing (VA View or Class View). (Ever since VS2002, having Class View showing has made editing unbearably lumpy, in my opinion.)

Scrolling and editing stutter all the time, switching files is slow, it's generally horrible to work with. I find it hard to believe that I need a faster PC (could I get one?), and performance was fine with VA7 and is fine if you turn VA off.

There are several possiblities here:

1. I'm having a specific problem, and other people don't see this.
2. Nobody else cares about lumpy editor performance.
3. Everybody knows about it and knows that it's going to get fixed.
4. Everybody hates it but thinks that VA is so good (it was, once) that they put up with it.

It just surprises me that I can't see any other discussion of this on the forum.

What are other people's experiences?

Will

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2004 :  08:30:31 AM  Show Profile
Good point!

I, too, experience these performance issues, but I only have a 1.8 GHz P4 and after nobody posted about the lacking performance, I thought it is a problem only existing on my end.

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2004 :  08:34:07 AM  Show Profile
no problem here at all. neither with vs6 nor with vs.net. running on a P4 1.8 single proc.
Go to Top of Page

pabloari

Spain
24 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2004 :  12:38:48 AM  Show Profile
I have a twin 3.06 GHz Xeon with 2GB of RAM. Most of the time everything goes fine. There are times when both VS and VAX do some things very slowly, but I think it is really due to what I would call a "well intentioned but not always so wise" use of low priorities for some UI and helper threads. It might be a good idea to add some options or to do some kind of autoadjustment to give more priority to some worker threads when the machine is powerful enough to stand it.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2004 :  01:02:04 AM  Show Profile
Something is whacked if you have terribly poor performance. We run all day with no noticeable degradation. We would like for you to experience the same.

Please enable logging on the Performance tab of our options dialog. Edit for a while to reproduce the slowness. Exit your IDE. Zip and send us c:\\va.log to [email protected]

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Ivan A. Fotan
Ketchup Master

Ukraine
67 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2004 :  04:38:31 AM  Show Profile
I have the same problems on my P4 2.6GHz HT, 1Gb or RAM. This problem are here at least from VAX build 1205. OS was reistalled some days ago, but the problem still here.

IAF
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2004 :  05:58:33 AM  Show Profile
@support:
You have Mail. Subject: "TOPIC_ID=1170 - Bad Performance VAX1212"

Go to Top of Page

Erik Olofsson
Tomato Guru

111 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2004 :  06:05:17 AM  Show Profile
I had this problem when I had display suggestion listboxes turned on. Now it's only slow when it tries to display a box after I press . or -> after a variable or :: after a class. It would be really nice if I could turn off that feature, I usually know the First couple of characters I want to type anyway.

Also sometimes when I edit in some .h files it's slow only moving the cursor. Next time it happens I will try turning off paranthesis highlighting.

Cutting Edge Project Management
http://www.hansoft.se

Edited by - Erik Olofsson on Jan 18 2004 06:10:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ben

6 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2004 :  07:55:03 AM  Show Profile
I find it sluggish at times, too - I'm on a dual 3.0Ghz Xeon setup so there should be processor power to spare (even on the decent-sized project file I'm using), but in general editing often seems a bit "laggy", primarily because the suggestion listboxes take up to a second to appear (and freeze the editor whilst they are doing it).

Turning them off reduces the problem (as they still appear on typing . or ->), but it would be nice if they were either faster or if there was some way to make the listbox building a background task so that the UI responsiveness wasn't reduced whilst they were active. In particular, editing a list of items in a file like this :

someclass->mMember1=1;
someclass->mMember2=2;
someclass->mMember3=2;

To change the "->"s to "."s or vice-versa is very painful as every time you make the change the suggestion box pops up, and unlike in normal typing where you can ignore the visual lag and VS will catch up with you when it recovers, in this case you have to wait and cancel the suggestions as otherwise pressing up or down arrow will scroll the listbox instead of moving to the next line.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2004 :  9:01:26 PM  Show Profile
Performance improved significantly in build 1213.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000