Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2004 :  11:47:17 AM  Show Profile
http://www.wholetomato.com/x/downloads/VA_X_Setup1212.exe

Fixes include:
Proper operation of VA View when hidden and/or floating.
Listboxes no longer dissappear prematurely.

Note:
This build resets all VS.NET toolbars. If you do not use the default setup, make a note of your custom modifications before installing.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.

Edited by - support on Jan 19 2004 1:35:49 PM

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2004 :  1:39:07 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for returning my VAView. Appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2004 :  1:48:09 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by support

Note:
This build resets all VS.NET toolbars. If you do not use the default setup, make a note of your custom modifications before installing.

Is there still hope you try to avoid this one in the future? I mean, I have no problem if you say "Well, guys, we tried, but it seems impossible", I just want to know if we can hope for a relief...

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2004 :  6:20:59 PM  Show Profile
No doubt, we're trying to get around the resetting of toolbars. We think it's a completely annoying side effect of VSIP integration. Unfortunately, everything tells us it's impossible to avoid. VSIP documention. VSIP code. Newsgroups. A bunch of our own testing.

After two people working two full days on the problem, we're giving it a rest. We were hacking binary files when we stopped for a breather.

The problem is deep in the shell MS uses for the IDE. We have tried saving and restoring toolbars ourselves, hence some of the binary hacking. Ugly. Gets the IDE really annoyed.

We considered abandoning VSIP and using only the add-in interface but that means we discard the VA View entirely. Not good either.

We will continue to work on the problem. You know how it goes. One of us will wake in the middle of the night with another idea.

You should assume every [re]install will reset toolbars. Prepare for the worst.

Thank you for your patience.

Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2004 :  6:31:04 PM  Show Profile
Aren't the toolbar settings in the registry somewhere? I assume you've already thought of saving and restoring the relevant registry entries as suggested in http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1092 ?

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

Takki

Germany
9 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2004 :  7:27:46 PM  Show Profile
That applies only to VS 6 and older - VS 7 does not store toolbar settings (and window settings) in the registry. Instead, it creates files for them. These files are located somewhere in the user application data folder, so it would be easy to save and restore them. BUT: this does not work. Once you install a new bar (or remove one), the files will no longer work (that's why it resets everything I guess). This also happens if you install an MS Office product (at least this always happend to me). I doubt that one can actually fix this, so blame MS for this bug.

~ I dispute that!
Go to Top of Page

pabloari

Spain
24 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2004 :  7:39:51 PM  Show Profile
A quick hack that could be useful at least during the beta:
If you can check on the installer if there is a previous beta installed and you know youhaven't added or removed toolbars to VAX since it, then it is safe just to backup the files cmdui.prf and devenv.xml and restore them after install. It's not the perfect solution, but it would be great now for all of us installing new betas every other day. I personally would be really thankful.
Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2004 :  5:05:49 PM  Show Profile
I guess it's not possible still to use whatever non-VSIP toolbars you are already using in VA.NET? (I think I remember a long explanation near the beginning of the beta about how you had a combination of some VSIP and some non-VSIP stuff).

I assume you've already thought of these things. And you'll have gathered by now that I don't actually know what I'm talking about.

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2004 :  8:58:48 PM  Show Profile
We could build a toolbar with non-VSIP code but we must have VSIP to build the VA View.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Olofsson
Tomato Guru

111 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2004 :  05:43:29 AM  Show Profile
Why not just copy the updated dlls (without registering them) if you detect that you already have the right version of the toolbar / other features that you need to register. This way you only need to reset the toolbars whenever you have changed it (or the first time the software is installed).

I tried to install the latest version of va to my laptop and copied the latest dlls to my primary development platform, and it seems to work. (Updated from 1211 -> 1212).

I think this is the way microsoft do with their Xbox SDK, because it only resets the toolbars the first time it's installed.

Cutting Edge Project Management
http://www.hansoft.se
Go to Top of Page

Takki

Germany
9 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2004 :  8:03:28 PM  Show Profile
A good thing about Whidbey is that you can export your settings...

~ I dispute that!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000