Does reparse actually work any more?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

willdean
Tomato Guru

134 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2004 :  07:56:02 AM  Show Profile

I've traditionally been an enthusiatic user of 'reparse' - indeed, I always bind it to ALT-X, so that I can get new/changed defs learned about as soon as I want, rather than waiting for the lazy-parsing algorithm to find them.

In previous versions, doing a reparse seems to cause immediate action. In VA-X (1214 and earlier), it doesn't seem to do anything.

Certainly you can sit there with un-discovered variables in black, do a reparse and they don't improve. The only fix seems to be to sit back and wait, and sometimes you have to do little bit more editing to kick the parser again.

I don't care that the background parser is very lazy - that suits me, nor do I really care that it might miss things sometimes. But I *really do* want a forced reparse to sort things out NOW. When I click it. NOW. Stop what you're doing and get the reparse done.

I daresay I'm going to be asked for a logfile...

Will

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2004 :  02:31:10 AM  Show Profile
Hallo all,

I'm for Will in this matter. I also saw that "Reparse" didn't do anything in the Private Beta. It is also deleted from the toolbar (even with customized toolbars I can't find it)...

I must say I find this a good options, which I'd like to see back again, please.

Thank you in advance.

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja
Go to Top of Page

mrcode925
Ketchup Master

USA
54 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2004 :  09:12:17 AM  Show Profile
I agree. Reparse current file belongs on the toolbar where it used to be. Of all the toolbar buttons, this is the one I used the most. Perhaps if the need to force a reparse were eliminated then I wouldn't mind the button moving to the menu only, but for the time being it should still be there.

However, using C# in VS2003 the reparse option works. I have not had to force a reparse in any situation other than opening a file and finding the VAX dropdowns empty. Reparse fills them quite nicely.

If it starts to make sense, you're in a cult.
Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2004 :  11:49:48 AM  Show Profile
I agree it should be on the toolbar. I've put it back there. You can put it there by using "Customize" on the toolbar, and dragging it out of the VAssist commands or off the VAssist menu.

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

willdean
Tomato Guru

134 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2004 :  5:19:26 PM  Show Profile
I too have put it back onto the toolbar and bound it to Alt-X. But I remain unconvinced it does anything. But maybe I'm seeing the 'doesn't parse after paste' bug which has been fixed for 1215?
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2004 :  1:08:45 PM  Show Profile
We will fix the paste problem that prevented reparsing, and make sure VAssistX.Reparse is wired up properly. If we find manual reparsing is still necessary (and we can't fix the culprits), we will consider returning Reparse to the default toolbar.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2004 :  8:39:45 PM  Show Profile
Build 1215 reparses after every paste in all IDEs.

VAssistX.Reparse works for VS.NET users. It forces a reparse of the current file. Reach the command via VAssistX|Tools or drag the command to a toolbar using Tools|Customize|Commands.

The old command, VisualAssistReparseFile, still works for VC++ users. This command will get renamed in the next one or two builds.

Go to Top of Page

willdean
Tomato Guru

134 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2004 :  12:31:07 PM  Show Profile

I'm going to be a pain and claim that reparse still apparently doesn't do anything.

The automatic reparse after paste is better, but not apparently 100%, a bit like the automatic reparse after search and replace. I wouldn't care much about either of these if the manual reparse actually worked, which I don't beleive it does. A couple of ALT-O's and occasionaly the insertion of a space (or some other trivial edit) is usually what's needed.

I don't think the previous posting by 'support' is completely right about the command names either - there is only one 'reparse' command visible to me on VA.NET2003, and it's neither VisualAssistReparseFile nor VAssistX.Reparse - it's VAssistX.ReparseCurrentFile.

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2004 :  1:35:00 PM  Show Profile
You are correct in that the command in VS.NET is VAssistX.ReparseCurrentFile. We expect to rename soon the equivalent command in VC++ 6.0.

We see a parsing message flash in the status bar so we know the command runs. We will look to see the right code is running.

Go to Top of Page

willdean
Tomato Guru

134 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2004 :  3:39:08 PM  Show Profile
OK. I don't see anything flash in the status bar. I've tried chosing reparse from the menu, from a custom toolbar button (and I re-added this to be sure), and from my keybinding. None of them appear to do anything.

I'll try turning logging on.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000