Scoped search / replace
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

robert_shawn

5 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2004 :  10:45:52 PM  Show Profile
Hi,
First off, I love VA. I do not like using .NET or VC6 without it. One might say that I am almost dependant on it.

Just an idea, going on the assumtion that since you keep track of which scope the cursor is in, for bracket hightlighting. It would be very handy to be able to do text searches and search and replace in a given scope.

Ultra cool, but probably in the "You Know Not You Ask, So Would You Please Go Away And Bother Someone Else" catagory, would be to search / replace with in the scope of a class (Header(s) and CPP(s)).

RSR

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2004 :  02:04:29 AM  Show Profile
Many people have asked for a context-sensitive find and replace across files. The task is quite difficult for C/C++. We've looked into it many times. Nonetheless, the item is still on the wish list.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

robert_shawn

5 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2004 :  02:46:17 AM  Show Profile
I have looked at writting a C/C++ parser for some of the things I would like for some tools I was writing, even using Lexx/Yac type stuff it would be very very very nasty and way high on the "This is fun in much the same way as smacking your thumb with a hammer is 'fun'" scale.

Oh well. Someday someone will write a code processor (Like a word processer but code), much more than just and IDE.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2004 :  11:25:22 AM  Show Profile
We have found the only option is to fix or replace the language. Preprocessor directives make C/C++ unbearable to parse if you must remain at the source level. Hence, C#.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000