New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John_H_Bergman
Tomato Guru

USA
198 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2004 :  4:03:32 PM  Show Profile
Check out the auto-complete that/autotext features Whidbey will have...

Here's a new article on all the neat stuff going into Whidbey to support C#. It starts off with the old news about generic support, etc., but then it gets into a lot of cool new IDE features that I hadn't heard mentioned elsewhere.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/default.aspx?pull=/library/en-us/dv_vstechart/html/whidbey_csharp_preview.asp

John H. Bergman
CTO
SiliconZone

[email protected]

To Send email, remove the .online.

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2004 :  5:05:09 PM  Show Profile
What exactly do you consider to be the neat "auto-complete and autotext" features of Whidbey?

The section on "Expansion" discusses the equivalent of our Code Templates. We like what we see in Whidbey. Our code templates have always been primitive.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2004 :  6:05:01 PM  Show Profile
Well, the "Refactor..." menu is cool. And it has many features requested already for VA.
Also nice is that it has some sense of context, as the sample of the exceptions tried to suggest (if that works?).
The Formatting options are also something still missing in VA.
Change tracking would be really nice (maybe even with diff to checked in version)
The "enhanced data tips" are probably out of the scope of VA anyway

That should be enough for a start...
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2004 :  7:54:25 PM  Show Profile
Our selection of features to implement is fairly large. We normally avoid implementing those in a coming version of a Microsoft IDE, no matter how great they are.

Whether or not Microsoft chooses to implement features in VA is a different matter.

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2004 :  7:59:10 PM  Show Profile
Unfortunately Microsoft does not implement those cool things in VS6
And it will be still looooong time until this IDE is dead.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2004 :  9:59:48 PM  Show Profile
No doubt VC 6 will be around for a long time. We will continue to add features to VA X that provide value in all IDEs.

Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2004 :  09:59:12 AM  Show Profile
quote:

No doubt VC 6 will be around for a long time.

I feel instinctively that this is true, but why exactly do you think that is? We all moved briskly from (if memory serves correctly) VC 1.0, to 1.52, to 2.0, to 2.1, to 2.2, to 4.0, to 5.0, and then to 6.0. But now there's a lot of resistance against moving to the .NET IDE (I include myself here).

Is it just that the user-interface for the .NET IDE is such a disaster? Or are there other reasons? Just curious for your insight into this...

Personally I hope VS6 stays around forever...
Go to Top of Page

kschaab
Tomato Guru

USA
118 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2004 :  10:56:32 AM  Show Profile
My personal opinion on this is based on my reaction when they moved VC to the vegas shell (.NET IDE). Why didn't Microsoft choose the VC IDE when they moved forward, and why did they give me less features from VC6 IDE to the .NET IDE? I sort of took it personally when I saw my beloved programming language moved into an editor designed for Visual Basic and web development! Not to defend the decision, but I'm beginning to appreciate the extensiblity of the IDE and I see where it can go. I also appreciate the ability to have one editor for all types of source.

I also remember moving from VC 4.2 to VC 5 was disgusting to me. Maybe MS was planning on moving me to the new IDE and VC 5 & 6 was the nicorette for this transition. Personally I think the IDE has always had lots of features missing (how code formatting when printing has escaped the IDE developers cycle after cycle amazes me, I mean Turbo C had this feature before I knew what a hard drive could do for me), but I find myself using other tools far less (thanks to VA of course)!

Visual Assist is the sanity to using the VC IDE for me. Otherwise I wouldn't even bother with the IDE. I hope that the new IDE brings Microsoft closer to producing all the features that they sorely need.
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2004 :  12:44:47 PM  Show Profile
Larry: the move from 4->5->6 was not as hard as moving to VS.net. The interface was changing but not so much that you had to re-learn everything. And, yes, the changes in the interface of VS.net ARE a disaster; at least for all C++ developers using C++ since many years. Besides of the incompatibility of the projects But for newcomers it is definitely easier to use.

kschaab: you are not serious when you talk about "printing source code"? I havent printed source code since about 10 years ago (nor has anyone I know). Except for school projects I dont think that printed sources have any value at all. What I do with half million lines of C++ on paper???
Go to Top of Page

gstelmack
Ketchup Master

USA
76 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2004 :  09:19:14 AM  Show Profile
Printed source is good for code reviews...

-- Greg Stelmack, Red Storm Entertainment
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2004 :  09:44:25 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gstelmack

Printed source is good for code reviews...

Printed source is good for proof-reading or entertainment during long metro trips. Anyway there are a few really good tools available to print source code.
Go to Top of Page

John_H_Bergman
Tomato Guru

USA
198 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2004 :  11:51:55 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by support

What exactly do you consider to be the neat "auto-complete and autotext" features of Whidbey?

The section on "Expansion" discusses the equivalent of our Code Templates. We like what we see in Whidbey. Our code templates have always been primitive.

That is what I was talking about... the expansion (sorry, auto-complete could be taken in different contexts).

John H. Bergman
CTO
SiliconZone

[email protected]

To Send email, remove the .online.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000