Blue Screen while debugging
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mgampi

16 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2004 :  09:29:55 AM  Show Profile
Hi;
after installing the VA X version on WIN2k SP5, VC++ 6.0 SP5 I sometimes hit blue screens while debugging.
The blue screen occures when in debug mode, changing code (not applying with Alt-F10) an Alt-Tab switch between VC++ and debugged App and vice versa.

Any ideas?

Martin

mgampi

16 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2004 :  04:45:10 AM  Show Profile
No one else hitting this?
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2004 :  3:26:56 PM  Show Profile
nope
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2004 :  3:41:41 PM  Show Profile
Nope, but I'm on XP...
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2004 :  3:47:46 PM  Show Profile
neither here nor there (neither on 2003).
Go to Top of Page

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2004 :  02:49:15 AM  Show Profile
Hello Martin,

I've seen this effect a long time ago, with the first b+?ta's of VA X. Although I couldn't really determine when I got the blue screen, I might have been like you stated. For if it matters: I'm working on an XP machine with al the latest Microsoft updates, and my computer has 2 processors. Using Visual Studio .Net 2002.

But as I said, it is a real time ago. I haven't seen it since. Which version of VA X did you install? If you're not running the latest version (currently 1216), I would advise you to install the latest version.
Or if that doesn't help, do as I did, disable VA X just before you start debugging. It helped for me.

I hope you can do something with it.

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja
Go to Top of Page

fbraghis
Starting Member

Romania
1 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2004 :  07:57:20 AM  Show Profile
I've seen the blue screen on my system too.
I was surprised, because I bragged to one of my friends just hours before, that I haven't seen a BSOD in months :).
It happend when I Alt-Tabbed to Visual Studio while debugging.
If I remember correctly, the exception occured in win32k.sys.
I'm on Windows XP. I also have WndTabs and WorkspaceWhiz installed.

VA_X.dll file version 10.0.1216.0
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.0.0.33
MSDev.exe version 6.0.8168.2
Devshl.dll version 6.0.8798.0
Devedit.pkg version 6.0.8447.0
Font: Courier -13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 5.82.2600.0
WindowsNT 5.1 Build 2600
Single processor
Go to Top of Page

willdean
Tomato Guru

134 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2004 :  10:28:09 AM  Show Profile
My guess would be at video card driver problems.

If your kernel mode code is working correctly (there's no KM code in VA), then nothing a user-mode application (like VA/VS) can do will cause a blue-screen.

(Obviously, with Admin privilege, a UM app can install KM code and use that to crash your machine, but that won't happen by accident.)

Will
Go to Top of Page

mgampi

16 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2004 :  02:37:56 AM  Show Profile
Hi;

after deinstalling VA-X I never hit the blue screen. The BS also occures in WIN32K.SYS and - as initially posted - happens while Alt-Tabbing between VS and the debugged App.
Since this only occures with VA-X (1216) installed, I can't believe that VA-X is not responsible for that. It's right, that a BS is hits by bugs in kernel drivers. But what, if a bad pointer or so leads to this BS?
We had such a case a few month ago. We copied data to a bad pointer which resulted in a BS in KERNEL32.DLL.

Martin

Edited by - mgampi on Feb 25 2004 02:39:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

willdean
Tomato Guru

134 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2004 :  06:41:24 AM  Show Profile

Kernel32.dll is a user-mode DLL (despite its name), so one can easily cause an exception in there from a buggy application. A 'proper' BSOD won't occur in something like Kernel32.dll, and won't occur solely because of an application bug.

It's sometimes the case that application bugs find bugs within kernel mode code, but the BSOD is caused by the KM code.

If I had a BSOD when alt-tabbing, I would definitely suspect video drivers, regardless of what variation of what applications I had running at the time. As I'm sure you know, It's possible to make your machine collect log information on a BSOD which can be used in WinDBG for debugging purposes - this would at least enable you to establish the stack which led to the exception, which most often points to the driver at fault.

Will

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000