However, it's not good at functions layed-out like this:

1 void
2 MyFunction(
3 int parm1, // Comment
4 int parm2 // Comment
5 )
6 {
7 ... etc

It considers that this function definition is 'on' line 6 (with the { symbol) which in principle is fine.

However, if you're working on that function definition (say changing a parameter name on line 3) and do an ALT-G, VA's normal algorithm for realising that you're already on a definition and eliminating it from the GoTo list is defeated.

Assuming it's a normal, exported, function you'll be offered two choices - one in the header file at line whatever, and one in the .CPP file you're working on, but at line 5, rather than line 3.

I appreciate that this is not completely straightforward to solve - you might need the concept of a function definition or declaration occupying more than one line, but it would be a good feature.

A lot of our code is layed-out as above, and one almost always wants to get from the definition to the declaration after changing something in the parameter list.

I do realise that people who design software properly never have to change function parameter lists once they've typed them the first time...

Will

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2004 :  09:31:46 AM  Show Profile
quote:
I do realise that people who design software properly never have to change function parameter lists once they've typed them the first time...

What's a "function parameter list"? I just make everything global, so I never have to change anything.

Just kidding...
Go to Top of Page

willdean
Tomato Guru

134 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2004 :  12:04:08 PM  Show Profile

I find that with my technique of only using single letter variable names, 26 of them are just not enough to make everything global.

Though since I've realised that you can put digits on the ends of them, I can have 260 and go back to the all-global technique...

I just can't see what was wrong with the TRS-80 Level I BASIC. 2KB should be enough for anyone.

Go to Top of Page

Cezariusz
Tomato Guru

Poland
244 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2004 :  06:26:06 AM  Show Profile
I second that. I'd also add validating goto list when opening, for example:

functionA() -- is at the line 100
after some editing
functionA() -- is at the line 105

Now when calling goto list I often end up with entries like:

c:\\dev\\fun.cpp:100