Feature Requests
 Vertically center the page upon "Go Back"
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pk_ngan

5 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2004 :  11:37:56 AM  Show Profile
The "Go back" feature *ALT+left arrow" is a really handy feature, but can be made even better by scrolling the page vertically such that the insertion point is vertically centered in the text window. What usually happens now is that the page is scrolled so that the insertion point is on the last line of the visible text. So you have to manually scroll to see the surrounding context.

On a related note, it would be nice to have a command that adjusts the scroll position so that the insertion point is centered vertically in the visible text. (This is the same as the ctrl+l command in emacs). Often you are working away and your insertion point gets so close to the bottom of the visible text window that you no longer can see enough surrounding lines to be aware of your context within the code.

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2004 :  11:48:34 AM  Show Profile
And can we have CTRL-u 7 CTRL-l to put the cursor on the eighth (sic) line of the window, and CTRL-u -7 CTRL-l to put it on the seventh line from the bottom?

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

jpizzi
Tomato Guru

USA
642 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2004 :  10:55:35 AM  Show Profile
pk_ngan:

CTRL+up and CTRL+down scroll the window without moving the cursor. Perhaps that is enough (for your related note)

Stephen:

You are kidding, right??

Joe Pizzi
Go to Top of Page

[email protected]

28 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2004 :  03:55:53 AM  Show Profile
Actually, I've seen some editors where your active line is always in the middle. that means that not your cursor, but the text scrolls. This will assure that you always see everything around you.

Especially being able to turn this on and off quickly is very useful.
And ofcourse being able to set on which line to lock.
Go to Top of Page

schoenherr
Tomato Guru

Germany
160 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2004 :  12:37:44 AM  Show Profile
[email protected]:
that sounds good, if we have an option to turn this on/off i strongly support this idea

Edited by - schoenherr on Feb 27 2004 12:39:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2004 :  07:34:33 AM  Show Profile
in vim i use "scrolloff=5". the result is that the cursor is always kept at least 5 lines from the top or the bottom of the window, so i always have at least 5 lines of context.

this is a bit more fluid that keeping the cursor centred in the middle of the window, and suits me better. the only time this doesn't apply is at the very top or bottom of the file.

i agree, i would LOVE to see this added to VAX as an option

if VAX had a such an offset number, then simply picking 500 would always centre the current line, 0 would turn it off, and i could have 5

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness

Edited by - feline on Feb 27 2004 07:36:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

Old as dirt
Tomato Guru

USA
246 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2004 :  11:08:19 PM  Show Profile
I hope you can do both things, but I would like them to be independant so that you can center when you go back and not always have it centered, or you can have it both.
On the center when you go back, maybe you shouldn't center (if you don't have the always center turned on) when the previous point in the file is still on the screen.

Ken
Go to Top of Page

hebbja

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2004 :  05:01:40 AM  Show Profile
In VC6 it is possible to move the final lines of a file to the centre of the screen using CTRL+DOWN. This is not possible (as far as I am aware) in VS.NET. I would like to see this re-introduced as I dislike editing at the bottom of the IDE. The only way of doing this in VS.NET curretly is to add a load of blank lines to the end of the file .

As for a constant vertical position for the active line, I am not sure that our eyes would thank us for further minimising eye movement. (We can all already touch type of course ). That said, it does seem to have a certain appeal to it.

James Hebben
Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2004 :  06:03:35 AM  Show Profile
Am I the only one who doesn't like this centering idea? What if you want to see 40 lines above or 40 lines below, rather than 20 on each side? I guess it would be optional, but I don't imagine I would use it. I might use feline's "scrolloff" idea though.

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2004 :  11:12:25 AM  Show Profile
i tried vertical centering in vim and i found it confusing and unhelpful since the whole screen scrolls as i move around a few lines in the middle of the screen.

i can see the appeal of centering the current line when doing a jump though

being able to turn such an option on and off is going to be key

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000