New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Old as dirt
Tomato Guru

USA
246 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2004 :  3:21:42 PM  Show Profile
On most items a tips window pops up telling all about whatever it is you are hovering over. I have some things defined as enums in an included header file and this function only sometimes works for them, mostly not working.
I'm using build 1218 with VC6
Thanks for looking into this.
Ken

Ken

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2004 :  6:38:40 PM  Show Profile
We can believe you get no hovering tooltips in some cases but without more info, we have no way to debug the problem or suggest a workaround.

Try to figure out what is different about the enums that work versus those that fail. Something might be confusing the VA X parser. Use of preprocessor macros is the common culprit.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Old as dirt
Tomato Guru

USA
246 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2004 :  10:57:26 AM  Show Profile
I don't know of any enums that work consistantly nor do I know of any that never work.
What kind of info do you need?

Ken
Go to Top of Page

Old as dirt
Tomato Guru

USA
246 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2004 :  12:38:19 PM  Show Profile
It seems that the problem is related to the font I am using. I switched to Verdana and to VA X at about the same time. I have switched back to fixedSys font and the tooltips work as expected and dont discriminate against enums. In fact, the tooltips didn't work very well on anything with the Verdana font. I don't know if they fail on any variable width font or not.
Ken

Ken
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2004 :  2:58:55 PM  Show Profile
Can you change the setting for "Use Default Intellisense..." on the "Text Editor|C/C++" node of our options dialog? Tell us if it makes a difference.

Go to Top of Page

Old as dirt
Tomato Guru

USA
246 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2004 :  3:48:30 PM  Show Profile
I tried it all 4 ways and the "Use Default Intellisense..." seems to have no effect. It seems to be totally dependant on using FixedSys or Verdana. Do you want me to try a different variable width font?
Ken

Ken
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2004 :  7:30:58 PM  Show Profile
Go for it. We're swamped. We'd love the help isolating the culprit.

Go to Top of Page

Old as dirt
Tomato Guru

USA
246 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2004 :  09:37:49 AM  Show Profile
I have tried several fixed width fonts and several variable width fonts and the problem is not there with fixed width fonts and is there with every variable width font I have tried.
With variable width fonts, the tool tips, when they show at all, usually are for something a word or two to the right of where the cursor is.

How many developers do you have?
Ken

Ken
Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2004 :  09:55:51 AM  Show Profile
Is this the same problem I described in thread #1247?

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

Old as dirt
Tomato Guru

USA
246 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2004 :  1:22:09 PM  Show Profile
Stephen,
I tried the link to thread #1247 and got a message that I don't have access to the forum.
I do remember seeing a thread where someone had a problem with Verdana font and the question was asked about why you needed to line up your code in the first place. That was when I tried Verdana and really liked it, but then this problem came up. Is that the thread you are talking about?
Ken

Ken
Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2004 :  2:17:20 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't notice it was in the private forum. Here's a repost. Hope that's not bad style.

Consider this file:
int main(void)
{
	LPCSTR file;
	HANDLE hFile = CreateFile(file, GENERIC_READ, FILE_SHARE_READ, NULL, OPEN_EXISTING, FILE_ATTRIBUTE_NORMAL, NULL);
}

When I hover over GENERIC_READ, the tooltip gives me the definition of FILE_SHARE_READ. When I hover over FILE_SHARE_READ, I get the definition of FILE_ATTRIBUTE_NORMAL.

If I click on a symbol and then hover over it, I get the correct tooltip. But then the other symbols on the line are shuffled

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000