New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2004 :  3:19:48 PM  Show Profile
As already a few times reported, the colors of the Tomato icons are really too bright and red.

For a reference please see:
http://www.tomato.org/food/color.html (The Real Thing)
http://cwis.livjm.ac.uk/cwis/colors/Tomato.htm (for the artist)
http://www.actahort.org/books/542/542_31.htm (very technical)
http://www.seedfest.co.uk/seeds/tomatoes/bicolor/bicolor.html (if you want to order some samples)
http://www.luminet.net/~wenonah/min-def/tomatoes.htm (uhm, sick tomatoes)
http://www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/tomato/managingcolor.htm (that should do it)

Ok, I did it, please no flames now .

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2004 :  3:40:19 PM  Show Profile
Oh, boy, now you've done it! Can you hear the Ninja-like approach of the LADS? "We cannot override the IDE's palette!", they intone. "Even when using ancient programming techniques of dead-a-lee force!"

Actually, I think we've got it all wrong: the "tomato" they're using is really mid-20th century American slang for "cute girl", i.e., "Whatta tomato! Hubba-hubba!"

Which bring up the question, whence "Whole Tomato"? I've heard of the Whole Enchilada, the Whole Nine Yards, and the Whole Shebang, but the "Whole Tomato"?
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2004 :  3:56:32 PM  Show Profile
When you have nothing to cut it, you end up with the Whole Tomato ?
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2004 :  09:30:35 AM  Show Profile
We considered Whole Enchilada first, given the connotation, but did not like the double-e nor difficulty spelling wholeenchilada.com. Besides, too many restaurants have that name. Whole Tomato was a second option.

We created a short list of ten names, Whole Tomato being one of them, and offered the list to twenty of our friends. Virtually all picked Whole Tomato. They claimed it piqued their curiosity. That, or the others were really bad.

Larry is right about the palette. The IDE offers two reds for toolbar icons -- bright and dark. We are not interested in hacking the IDE to accept a different palette.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

kschaab
Tomato Guru

USA
118 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2004 :  09:55:14 AM  Show Profile
I speculate the origins are actually an interesting tale...

Once upon a time there was only One. Working long into the night cursing the inflexibility of the VC IDE the One became weak. The One had worked passed delivery of any decent fare. Again cursing the inflexibility of the IDE the One checked the refrigerator, finding only One whole tomato. If the One did not eat the tomato the weakness and the IDE would overcome the One and the One would then be ridiculed by those of lesser skillz.

The One then set about to cut the tomato, but upon discovery that all the knives were uncleansed and unworthy decided that the tomato could not be cut. Thus the One would have to consume the "Whole Tomato"

With the whole tomato in hand the One went from the refrigerator to the keyboard. Realizing the futility of attempting to eat a whole tomato over the keyboard the One turned to the side to allow the drippings of the tomato fall upon lesser electronics. Unawares that lesser electronics does not necessarily mean lesser electrical current the One then received a healthy dose of electic shock. Instead of the usual expected stench of burning hair the One became fully aware of the meaning of the IDE.

The next "morning" the One woke with a splitting headache, a working "Spiffy IDE editor add-in", and a touch of amnesia. Noticing the tomato missing from the refrigerator and that every single comment in the code from the night before read simply "Invoking the power of the Whole Tomato". The One guessed from the empirical evidence that a whole tomato plus brilliance must equal really good alcohol. Therefore the One registered the domain name www.wholetomato.com so that it wouldn't be taken when the process of making alcohol from single whole tomatos was rediscovered. After a few weeks of futility the One decided alcoholic tomatos were not paying the rent so applied the name Visual Assist to "Spiffy IDE editor add-in" and starting selling under the name Whole Tomato Software.

And the rest is not so fictional history.
Go to Top of Page

kschaab
Tomato Guru

USA
118 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2004 :  09:57:00 AM  Show Profile
I'm not sure I would believe that support person, might have been drinking too many tomatos

Edited by - kschaab on Mar 04 2004 10:02:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2004 :  10:39:36 AM  Show Profile
Bloody Mary. Thats a fine story you've told here. Do you know the WT LADS over there? Friends? Family?
Go to Top of Page

kschaab
Tomato Guru

USA
118 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2004 :  11:08:21 AM  Show Profile
I don't know them, I'm sure they are working on a "fix" to revoke my license as we speak:

// Invoking the power of the Whole Tomato
if (szLicenseeName == "kschaab")
{
FormatHarddrive();
}

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2004 :  11:20:22 AM  Show Profile
Naaaah, I'm sure they understand a good joke when they see one...
Uhm, whats that activity in my VS6?
Something strange there.

[seconds later]
Seems to be a new bug in VA X.

[minutes later]
What? "Can't open workspace. File not found."
Well, whatever. I have it still in source safe.

"Source Control System not installed"
/me starting to get worried...

[some more minutes later]
What the... "Windows is shutting down."

No operating system found. Please insert a bootable tomato and press F1

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000