New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2004 :  09:35:38 AM  Show Profile
Just a heads-up that the "Visual Assist X Trial" dialog just popped for me this morning (I have 6 days left). I'm assuming this means you've wired up the registration code stuff, but wanted to point it out in case it's unexpected behavior...

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2004 :  12:30:36 PM  Show Profile
Me too!

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2004 :  12:52:42 PM  Show Profile
Hmmm, it should have detected your previously installed VA6/.Net keys. They may have been removed if you uninstalled VA6 or VA.NET? Entering them again should get rid of the trial dialog.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2004 :  1:08:09 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, I remember uninstalling both VA6 and VAX at one point, for some good reason... but when I tried to enter my VA6 key, which I copied-and-pasted from an email, I got "You entered an invalid key for this product." I've emailed the "Licensed to" and "Key" values I'm using to the support mailbox... am I doing something wrong?

(On a different subject, it would be nice to be able to change my "Tomater-Meter" vote for this Topic. It seemed "Trivial" originally, but now it seems "Fatal".)
Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2004 :  1:28:09 PM  Show Profile
Did you remember to include the "n-user license" part of the username?

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2004 :  1:29:08 PM  Show Profile
I agree about being able to change the tomato-meter votes too. I was going to suggest it only I thought they had better things to worry about at the moment! It's particular useful when a thread wanders a bit.

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2004 :  1:49:18 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Did you remember to include the "n-user license" part of the username?
Yup, but only because I made that error when I first bought VA6... dashed unintuitive, if you ask me...
quote:
I was going to suggest it only I thought they had better things to worry about at the moment!
Nah, I suggest things the moment they occur to me - otherwise they'd be lost forever in the cobwebs of my mind - and "let God sort them out"...
Go to Top of Page

tom_seddon
Tomato Guru

162 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2004 :  5:02:46 PM  Show Profile
Despite claims to the contrary in "cannot register VAX" thread in the public forum, VAX wouldn't accept my VA6 key. (It was an upgrade key from VA4.) However, it just accepted my VA.NET key without complaint. So maybe there is still a bug?
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2004 :  5:26:52 PM  Show Profile
The plot thickens... at this point, I have to 'fess up and admit that yes, I was trying to enter a VA6 key into the .NET 2002 IDE. Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time; is it too late to claim that I was simply testing the "Enter Key" dialog box?

Hmmm... I see in that thread (http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1641) where support says, "Build 1218 recognizes existing VA.NET 7.1 and VA 6.0 keys." Hey, maybe it wasn't user error after all! Whoo-hoo!

(Actually, I might feel more vindicated if I - ahem - had actually read that thread back then... )

So I guess there are two possibilities: either the Beta version of VAX is supposed to accept VA6 keys, or "the President misspoke" in thread 1641!
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2004 :  6:50:43 PM  Show Profile
We need to clarify. VA X accepts VA 6.0 keys when you are running VC++ 6.0. VA X accepts VA.NET 7.1 keys when you are running VS.NET. If your keys are already in the registry, VA X will find them automagically and not prompt. Their values appear in our About box. Use the "Enter Key" button on the License node of our options dialog only to change the key(s) in the registry.

http://www.wholetomato.com/x/purchase/upgrade.html

Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2004 :  03:17:47 AM  Show Profile
I did NOT uninstall my Visual Assist .NET 7.1!

All I did was installing VA_X and test right away. Now, after installing VA_X 1219, it presents me the Trial-Dialog, which should not come up, since my License-Info is in the Registry...

I will try to enter the stuff again...

Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2004 :  08:50:34 AM  Show Profile
quote:
VA X accepts VA 6.0 keys when you are running VC++ 6.0. VA X accepts VA.NET 7.1 keys when you are running VS.NET.
Ohhhhh. I get it now... I've just read the VAX Upgrade page at http://www.wholetomato.com/x/purchase/upgrade.html for the first time. It's a little weird to me, because if you have a VA.NET 7.1 key, you get a free upgrade to VAX, but not if you only have a VA6 key. I'm sure that makes sense to the marketing guys, price-wise and all...

That means that VAX under a .NET IDE accepts only VAX keys or VA.NET 7.1 keys, but under VC6, it accepts only VAX keys or VA6 keys. Okay, that makes sense (but I'd hate to see the code for it).

I would recommend a change on that Upgrade page, though. The sentences "Purchase an upgrade only if you migrate to Microsoft Visual Studio .NET. Once you have the upgrade, you can run Visual Assist X in both your new and old IDEs." should not be their own paragraph, because it's visually confusing: at first, the separation made me think those sentences might refer to both Visual Assist .NET 7.1 Customers and Visual Assist 6.0 Customers. But it doesn't - it only refers to the latter.

Thanks for all your help and explanations.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2004 :  12:28:59 PM  Show Profile
We took Larry's suggestion and combined paragraphs in the page describing our upgrade policy.

We had numerous discussions [understatement] to find an upgrade policy to please most people. "Free" pretty much did that job. We also needed to protect some of our revenue stream. Hence, all VA 4.1 customers and those migrating to VS.NET will need to buy an upgrade -- they do today anyhow.

We also wanted a single product for all IDEs. That will make life easier for everyone.

Wannabe: We're not that surprised VA X prompted for a key. You've been active with our beta for a long time. We might have mucked something in an earlier build.

Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2004 :  12:38:22 PM  Show Profile
I just entered my VA .NET 7.1 Key and VAX seemed to accept it...
We'll see... no Trial-PopUp since entering key yet...

Go to Top of Page

gstelmack
Ketchup Master

USA
76 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2004 :  12:59:55 PM  Show Profile
I just had this pop this morning. I had been running fine with 1219, no warnings or anything, until today.

-- Greg Stelmack, Red Storm Entertainment
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2004 :  11:27:30 PM  Show Profile
Build 1220 will extend the trial of everyone not qualifying for a free upgrade from VA.NET 7.1 and VA 6.0, ie VA 4.1 customers and those who have never purchased a prior version.

VA.NET 7.1 and VA 6.0 users should be able to get through our Enter Key dialog, although we are working on a few cases where the process does not work.

Go to Top of Page

gstelmack
Ketchup Master

USA
76 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2004 :  09:18:36 AM  Show Profile
Re-entering my 7.1 key did work. Note that I had upgraded from VA 4.1 to VA.NET, so I'm not sure if it grabbed the 4.1 key originally instead of the .NET key.

-- Greg Stelmack, Red Storm Entertainment
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2004 :  6:42:02 PM  Show Profile
Build 1220 extends trials for users without VA.NET 7.1 or VA 6.0.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000