"Symbols in Workspace" slowdown
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

asmout
Ketchup Master

58 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2004 :  10:32:12 AM  Show Profile
I am using VAX 1219 under VC6, and if I load a large project, I see an unexpected slowdown and high CPU usage when trying to select a symbol from the "symbols in workspace" drop-down.

Steps to Reproduce:
1) Open large project
2) Click on drop-down arrow of "symbold in workspace" list box of VA View
3) Move the cursor up and down the listbox. The movement of the highlight bar is sluggish, and the CPU usage (as monitored using task manager) is high (80-90%).

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2004 :  11:23:29 AM  Show Profile
I'm seeing the same thing (also in VC6). For my large project (about 700 files), on my machine (P4-1.7GHz), it's not too bad, but I can imagine it being a pain on an even larger project, on an even slower machine.

The real issue to me is, what on Earth is the VAX code doing when the combobox item is highlighted? I can imagine work needing to be done when the item is selected (CBN_SELENDOK or whatever it's called), but when it's just highlighted? Whatever it is, maybe it can be cached, or postponed until the item is actually selected? Just rambling...
Go to Top of Page

asmout
Ketchup Master

58 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2004 :  6:27:15 PM  Show Profile
My project is ~2000 files / 20Mb of code. Not huge, but enough to see quite a significant slowdown on my 2.4GHz P4.

My guess is that an inappropriate container for symbols is used, and VAX is trying to bring up a tool-tip using a linear search through an ordered list. The performance is much worse when the list is scrolled to the end. What is needed here is a std::map(symbol, tooltip)! Pure speculation, of couse...
Go to Top of Page

asmout
Ketchup Master

58 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2004 :  6:03:01 PM  Show Profile
Still a bug in 1223. On a large project, makes the dropdown list quite useless.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000