New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2004 :  12:36:37 PM  Show Profile
Okay, this may be impossible, but would be such a help.

Let's say I'm typing new code, and I'm using a variable named sEndDate. (Yes, it's Hungarian - don't start.) After letting VAX autocomplete this from sEnd several times correctly, for some reason, I suddenly accidentally type this instead:
   sdEnd
... and of course, VAX can't help me, because I've stupidly entered a 'd' as the second character. At this point, I have to stop what I'm doing, do a Ctrl-Space, Alt-T, etc., all the while cursing VAX for not completing what is "obviously" a correctly typed-in variable name. I do this kind of thing constantly (and each time, I initially blame VAX ).

It would be cool if VAX could highlight only the first letter that is causing the matching process to fail. So my example code would look something like this:
   sdEnd
I would want VAX to do this only in response to a Ctrl-Space or Alt-T etc. that failed; I wouldn't want it to be doing this constantly in the background, for performance reasons. I figure, if I do a Ctrl-Space, and VAX reports no matches, it's probably safe to assume that (a) I'm expecting VAX to find a match, and (b) VAX isn't finding one because of a typo. At that point, VAX can use as much CPU as it wants, as far as I'm concerned, because I'm stymied, and no longer typing: whatever horsepower is required to do the highlighting doesn't matter.

Thanks.

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2004 :  1:58:53 PM  Show Profile
Sounds reasonable. My vote for it.
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2004 :  2:52:35 PM  Show Profile
No Problem with Charlie Simonyi's invention, Larry, I'm using it whenever I can...
I'd vote for that feature, too, happens all too often to me...

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2004 :  3:16:06 PM  Show Profile
I would suggest a new voting feature: the post count of each votee is the points for the vote, when we reach 1000 points, WT implements the feature
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2004 :  3:25:55 PM  Show Profile
quote:
when we reach 1000 points, WT implements the feature
I knew all this loquacity had to be good for something...
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2004 :  3:46:26 PM  Show Profile
I'd say those ideas from the Users with the most postings here will be implemented automatically...

*rushes away*

Go to Top of Page

jpizzi
Tomato Guru

USA
642 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2004 :  4:31:25 PM  Show Profile
quote:
I'd say those ideas from the Users with the most postings here will be implemented automatically...

Hmmm. Sounds like a squeaky wheel phenomenon.

Now, if we could only figure out how VA could tell us that we haven't #included that file, yet, and that is why it can't resolve the variable...

Joe Pizzi
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2004 :  5:17:44 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jpizzi

Now, if we could only figure out how VA could tell us that we haven't #included that file, yet, and that is why it can't resolve the variable...

Actually that should be even possible. When VA encounters a type without definition in the current scope, but it it known in a different scope, then it could offer a tooltip with information about the actual location(s) where this type is defined.
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2004 :  5:25:59 PM  Show Profile
quote:
When VA encounters a type without definition in the current scope, but it it known in a different scope, then it could offer a tooltip with information about the actual location(s) where this type is defined.
Hey, yeah! Even better, it could go to the top of the file and insert the #include statement for me!
Go to Top of Page

Old as dirt
Tomato Guru

USA
246 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2004 :  7:41:38 PM  Show Profile
I don't want VA inserting code (anything for that matter)without my approval, but I like the idea of a tool tip recommending the possible include files.
Can one of you with lots of posts make this a separate suggestion so that WT will implement it?

Ken
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2004 :  11:51:17 PM  Show Profile
Ken, I'm sure the guys over at WT are already aware of this thread and probably already planning these features, right?
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2004 :  02:35:52 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by LarryLeonard

Hey, yeah! Even better, it could go to the top of the file and insert the #include statement for me!

Agreed! But not without asking me first!
I'd hate it to find any MFC-Includes in my "non Wrapper pure ANSI-C" Code just because VA thinks it knows my code better than myself...

Go to Top of Page

Cezariusz
Tomato Guru

Poland
244 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2004 :  03:59:16 AM  Show Profile
I do like both ideas - to tell why the completion failed (in any way, by underlining, coloring, tooltip) and to show a tooltip with the missing #include.

Cezariusz Marek
https://midicat.net/

Edited by - Cezariusz on Mar 12 2004 04:01:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2004 :  10:00:23 AM  Show Profile
i am all in favour of both the colouring and the tooltip for the #include

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2004 :  10:34:23 AM  Show Profile
The number of replies has a lot to do with what we implement. Very much so.

We have considered many rating systems. The best one requires money. You bid on fixes. One guy who really wants a feature for himself bids a lot of money. Another feature with widespread support gets implemented if numerous people pitch in a few dollars each. One guy not willing to spend much on a feature nobody else wants? Fat chance.

Does everyone have an eBay and Paypal account?

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2004 :  10:40:37 AM  Show Profile
*wonders if i could bribe the whole tomato developers with chocolate*

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2004 :  10:43:46 AM  Show Profile
We have experimented with replacement of mistyped symbols with valid, similarly-named symbols. If you mistype "the" in Microsoft Word, eg "hte", the application corrects the typo automatically. We tried to get the same thing going in the IDE. Sounded cool but rather difficult to get right. The ramifications of Word replacing a typo with the wrong word are minor for most correspondence. The ramifications of your editor replacing a symbol with a valid but entirely wrong symbol are not good. Good luck debugging that stuff.

Your suggestion for partial underlining is clever. It reminds us of our experiment. We will consider it.

Tooltips with suggested #includes are clever as well. We will consider them too. We would never auto-insert, at least not without approval.

Thank you for considering performance. Your thinking is consistent with our reality.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000