New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jpizzi
Tomato Guru

USA
642 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2004 :  8:51:51 PM  Show Profile
I just downloaded and installed VA X (1219) on my work machine, a P4 1.8GHz with 1GB RAM, and VA X seems noticeably slower than VA 7 on VS .NET 2003.

Anybody else see this, too? Is it (hopefully) due to optimization not being enabled on the beta???

Joe Pizzi

Old as dirt
Tomato Guru

USA
246 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2004 :  10:21:21 PM  Show Profile
I don't have anything to compare it to, but I have noticed it being sometimes really slow and assumed that surely it will be faster when it is released. Surely.

Ken
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2004 :  10:52:19 AM  Show Profile
While we always try to improve performance, our general release will run with current performance unless we solve your problems. We need some more info. Performance is fine for us and we believe for most other users.

When is VA X slow? Any times it is not?

In what languages do you program?

Are your sources local?

Can you enable logging on the Performance node of our options dialog? Do whatever is slow, even if that means just typing. Exit your IDE. Zip and send us c:\\va.log

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2004 :  1:41:58 PM  Show Profile
Loading my latest solution takes longer indeed!

Oh, wait, not loading it, but syntax-coloring it takes much longer!
On 1216, it took like 2 Seconds for VA_X to apply syntax-coloring.

Now (1219), it takes up to 10 Seconds... first, I see everything with the "standard" VS coloring, and then, after 10 seconds reading from Harddisk, *PLOP* everything is colored the way I'm used to by VA_X, but the harddisk still reads for 5 seconds later on, which it did not on 1217...

Do you want a Performance-Log?

Go to Top of Page

Old as dirt
Tomato Guru

USA
246 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2004 :  1:03:04 PM  Show Profile
The slowness is not present now. I think I thought it was slow when it didn't respond at all. That problem is reported in (how do you put in a link to another thread?) another thread. Where if a comment with an opening and no closing parenthesis is above the line I am entering and I put in the closing paranthesis first, matching just quits until I bring another file to the foreground. Sorry for piling on

Ken
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000