Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2004 :  09:49:34 AM  Show Profile
It's taken me a while to come up with an example, but here it is:

COLORREF crOld(crText != ID_OX_COLOR_NONE
	? dcTip.SetTextColor(crText);
	: $		crOld = dcTip.SetTextColor(::GetSysColor(COLOR_INFOTEXT));
The caret is at the red dollar sign, and I'm hitting the 'Del' key. My intent is to delete everything up the the 'dcTip'; all the blue code, that is. The annoyance is, each time I hit the 'Del' key, VAX is suggesting random bits of code. In the screen shot I emailed, it's suggesting a member variable.

My contention is that VAX should refrain from suggesting bits of code while I'm hitting a key that deletes characters, like 'Del' and 'Backspace'. I haven't thought this through, though, so if anyone has any counterexamples, let 'em fly. (Oops, I'm an American, so I have to say, "Bring 'em on". Sigh.) Or, does anyone like the fact that it suggests while you're deleting text?

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2004 :  3:38:11 PM  Show Profile
Looks pretty much like the bug we had (still have?) discussed here...

Let me search...

http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1147

http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1595

Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2004 :  4:05:03 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Looks pretty much like the bug we had (still have?) discussed here...

Let me search...

http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1147

http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1595
Um, well, personally, neither of those seem to have much to do with what I'm talking about. Well, maybe 1147 is kind of related... except I'm getting legitimate suggestions that I don't want, not empty listboxes (which no one wants!)... I don't see any connection to 1595 at all...

Anyway, what do you think of the idea of not suggesting bits of code while leaning on the 'Del' key?
Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2004 :  5:02:24 PM  Show Profile
I agree with you, Larry.

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2004 :  03:30:49 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by LarryLeonard

Anyway, what do you think of the idea of not suggesting bits of code while leaning on the 'Del' key?

I don't care if I get legitimate or empty suggestions.
That's why I still think these issues are somehow related... not matter if the suggestions are useful/empty or not!

I just don't want any suggestions while I'm deleting stuff (using Del or Backspace shouldn't really make a difference) from my code...

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2004 :  12:14:46 PM  Show Profile
From what we observe in our testing, VA X suggests only when you backspace some whitespace and reach the right edge of a symbol. Is this the case for you?

We might need to tweak this behavior, assuming it was intentional.

Perhaps suggest only if whitespace is to the right of the caret, or not, or if whitespace to EOL.

Larry: We have your screenshot and yes, VA X is suggesting nothing of value. We will study it a bit more to see if we can guess why, and why a suggestion appears at all.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.

Edited by - support on Mar 24 2004 12:23:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2004 :  4:29:36 PM  Show Profile
Okay, this is seriously driving me nuts. I'm doing a lot of editing that involves deleting code and navigating down lines one at a time, and it's brutal. I've taken to turning VAX off so I can make some progress; that can't be a good thing. Otherwise, I have to hit the down arrow 10 times, or have one finger on the escape key - and neither is a very efficient way to type.

The thing that would help the most, for me, I think, it to simply not suggest bits of code when I hit the 'Del' key. That would solve a lot of it. Is there any chance that could make it into a coming version? It's either that, or I'll have to start experimenting with which VAX features are better turned off...
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - May 17 2004 :  10:08:53 AM  Show Profile
In 1236, this seems to have gotten much worse (or maybe it's just my imagination).

If the caret is at the dollar sign in this line:
	HRESULT $GetDuplicateCount(long row);
... and I BACKSPACE to delete that space after the T in the HRESULT, I get the "Suggest Bits O'Code" listbox.

At this point, I am now screwed. Of course, since I'm just reformatting code, I'm typing at about 100 mph, so when I hit TAB, which is the character I'm trying to insert, I accept the suggestion, so now I have this nonsense:
	HRESULT GetFacSeqFromCustNum(GetDuplicateCount(long row);
Now I have to screech to a halt, stop my work, look at the screen, figure out what the hell is going on, then figure out what to do to fix it in the least number of keystrokes, and then eventually get back to my work.

You have simply *got* to make this "Suggest Bits O'Code" feature not work when I'm deleting characters. I don't need help when I'm deleting characters. I know how to delete characters. I need help only when I'm *typing* characters. Why is this? Because when I'm typing characters, VAX stands an excellent chance of being able to guess what I'm trying to do, or at least providing a listbox of choices. When I'm *deleting* characters, my own mother, standing over my shoulder, would not be able to predict what I'm doing, why I'm dong it, and what my ultimate goal is: it's simply unpredictable, and popping listboxes is not helpful.

I swear this was fixed at one point, but now it's back...
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - May 18 2004 :  09:56:59 AM  Show Profile
Fixed in 1237.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: