New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Erik Olofsson
Tomato Guru

111 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2004 :  12:39:35 AM  Show Profile
Toggle between two files with CTRL+Tab.
Whatch devenv.exe memory usage increase.

Does not happen with VA plugin disabled.

Cutting Edge Project Management
http://www.hansoft.se

kschaab
Tomato Guru

USA
118 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2004 :  3:56:54 PM  Show Profile
Actually I was up to 133MB in devenv without knowing it and then disabled VAX and devenv mem usage went down to 11MB. Ouch.
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2004 :  4:05:40 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, I'm noticed the leak, but I just assumed it was the IDE.

I'm up to 102 Meg, and when I disable VAX... hey, where'd my source code window go? Now the IDE's toolbar won't paint. Time to reboot...

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2004 :  5:34:46 PM  Show Profile
I see the same in VC6, although not that large. Every time I switch windows, VM increases by about 200-300 Kb.
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2004 :  09:12:29 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Every time I switch windows, VM increases by about 200-300 Kb.
I see the same thing in .NET 2003; my neighbor, who (foolishly!) has not installed any version of VA, does not see this effect...
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2004 :  1:15:15 PM  Show Profile
We can reproduce this problem in build 1233 and will look for a fix.

ixBug=3

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2004 :  1:19:18 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by support

ixBug=3

Maybe if you set ixBug to NULL in your code the memory leak is gone?
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2004 :  1:23:47 PM  Show Profile
Like my Mom said, "Why do they put all those bugs in there in the first place?"
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2004 :  2:21:57 PM  Show Profile
Like an ex-colleague said, "It saves my job here!"
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2004 :  6:55:58 PM  Show Profile
You guys are funny.

FWIW. We are fiddling with a new bug tracking app. The ixBug numbers are internal. For now, they help us tie forum threads to internal bugs. If you don't see ixBug in our posts after a while, you know we went on to fiddling with a different app, or none at all.

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2004 :  7:45:40 PM  Show Profile
Ever tried Seapine? I mean not the aftershave, the bug tracking software from Seapine called TestTrack. Pretty nice, quickly set up, affordable, a userinterface which seems to be designed from/for developers. Personally I like it.
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2004 :  7:59:42 PM  Show Profile
That's funny, I'm currently trying to get us to use FogBUGZ here. Looks good from the sales brochure...
Go to Top of Page

willdean
Tomato Guru

134 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2004 :  04:27:53 AM  Show Profile

"and will look for a fix"

I think your marketing department should stop you saying things like that in public - it doesn't sound very good at all. Try sounding a bit more positive! :-)

BTW, we use FogBUGZ here. Seems pretty good (despite the stupid name and Joel Spolsky's all-crushing ego) and you get the source, so you can customise it if you feel inclined. We also use CPPUnit and Coverage Validator, but now I'm probably just sounding bitchy.

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2004 :  09:15:49 AM  Show Profile
I have a general dislike for "web applications" that try to what is the domain of a normal, integrated application.
But the * validator series from Software Verify is a very nice alternative to Numega and Rational. (Maybe WT should open a new forum for product tips?)
Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2004 :  09:52:14 AM  Show Profile
I've actually been meaning to suggest something like that when things calmed down.

I was thinking there could be a forum for general discussion for VS users — Which Source Control do you use? Do you have trouble getting your toolbars to stay where you put them? — anything which is not about VA, but which VA users might be interested in.

I guess it depends whether WT think it would be an advantage or a liability to host such a discussion.

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2004 :  11:41:45 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen

I guess it depends whether WT think it would be an advantage or a liability to host such a discussion.

A bit of both

Another good place for these discussions are of course www.codeproject.com and the forums there.
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2004 :  12:17:20 PM  Show Profile
Also, the "Joel on Software" forums: http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonsoftware (I keep hearing about his big ego - I guess I don't notice it because he's almost always spot on, IMHO.)
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2004 :  12:41:52 PM  Show Profile
We do like codeproject. Their only problem on this issue might be size of audience. It's probably easier to discern quality of response from a group of ten. That said...

We are fiddling with FogBugz. After reviewing ten apps, we felt FogBugz was the most developer-friendly. Most others have too much fluff. We will know more later.

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - May 03 2004 :  1:24:11 PM  Show Profile
As for increase in virtual memory when Ctrl+Tabbing....

Behavior is by design. VA X keeps a history and some cached data, eg parsed and colored versions of the display, for every open window. When you Ctrl+Tab, VA X rebuilds missing data for each new window. VA X does not free immediately its data from the last window(s) -- VA X does the freeing after ten seconds of idle time.

Ctrl+Tab through a bunch of windows and you notice VM goes up. (You need to make sure the window has a chance to display.) Stop Ctrl+Tabbing for ten seconds and you notice VM drops -- that's when VA X did its cleaning.

VA X still keeps some data for every open window, eg a history. This is why VM does not drop completely. If you close all windows, you notice VM drops nearer the value the IDE took when it first started.

One could argue VA X takes too much VM, but you don't want us to run slowly either. We deal with the VM vs speed issue constantly.

FWIW, our debug builds tell us when we exit without freeing all memory. This helps keep us honest.

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/faq.html#memory

Edited by - support on May 03 2004 1:34:03 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000