New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2004 :  11:53:37 AM  Show Profile
Okay, so I said I'd try to use the HCB, so I pinned the VA View window down. Then I went to edit some source code, to just navigate around and get a feel for the HCB.

Instead, the HCB remained empty. Then I noticed the status bar said, "Waiting for other VC++ instance to flush DB..." First of all, Task Manager confirms that I only have one instance running, and second of all, is that message coming from VS or VAX?

The HCB finally did get populated...

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2004 :  12:26:15 PM  Show Profile
Saw that occasionally too. Seems to happen when VAX is first time parsing/populating the lists. Its a VAX message.

Actually, the HCB for me replaced the standard Class View completely. Together with Alt+S (Find Symbol) I find anything much faster than I would ever in the default views.
Go to Top of Page

SvenC
Tomato Guru

Germany
339 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2004 :  1:22:48 PM  Show Profile
Yepp - "Find Symbol" for gloabl searches and the "method combo box" for the current file are my daily friends.

Up to now I ignored the HCB. At first glance it seems much more messy as it "flattens" all the symbols. I like the namespace and class inheritence oriented hierarchie of VS.NET's class view.
If I am looking for a symbol with no scope in mind Find Symbol seems so much easier. I do not go away from the keyboard - just type Alt+S and there we are...
The list of recently browsed symbols might be usefull. I'll keep an eye on that one.

BTW: What is the control with the pin supposed to do: underneeth the pin a vague piece of a combo box arrow is showing up and when I press Alt+Down an empty combo box list of about 3 pixels height appears. Is it a combo box by accident?

Edited by - SvenC on Apr 07 2004 1:24:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2004 :  1:40:23 PM  Show Profile
I like the HCB for two things:
1) #defines - when you have the mouse over a symbol like WS_CHILD, the whole list of WS_... symbols appears in the HCB. While WS_ defines might still be memorizeable, try this with any of the larger define groups from the SDK includes.
2) working with lots of rather complex data structures, I always see all members of the variable I'm editing or working with.

The history window so far did not prove any value to me (Source Safe takes its place). Might be nice to be able to hide it. Also the FIW and SIW drop downs. Never use them. They are too fragile in their behaviour. I prefer the dialog versions.

The "pin" is supposed to hold the currently shown contents of the HCB. And the droplist I suppose is used just to be able to show a icon in front of the text without going to lenghts. (reported loooong ago in 1158 and 859 and 1035)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000