Main Site | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
User name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your password?

All Forums
 Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 1228: Using left margin "surround" causes...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dylan

13 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2004 :  12:42:55 PM  Show Profile
... me to no longer be able to select text with the mouse. I can select text with the cursor or in other files, but no longer in the file in which I tried to use the left margin surround feature. It works fine if I use the surround from the VAssistX menu. The behavior is the same with 1223 and 1228.

This is with .NET 7.1 (as was the previous bug I posted but forgot to specify this)

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2004 :  12:52:10 PM  Show Profile
I'm sorry, what is the "left margin surround"?? Is that a C# thing or something?
Go to Top of Page

Dylan

13 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2004 :  12:56:37 PM  Show Profile
Sorry, I mean when you right click in the left margin (the one that has red dots for break points)
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2004 :  1:01:49 PM  Show Profile
at a wild guess, there is a "gutter" bar of white space at the left hand edge of the page. by moving the mouse cursor into this area you get a reversed mouse pointer, and you can then select lines of text.

if this is what he means, then selecting text this way and using / to comment it out works for me in VS .NET 2003 and VAX 1228

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Dylan

13 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2004 :  1:11:07 PM  Show Profile
I'll try to be more clear. Like feline said, on the left side of the text editor is a gutter bar. In this gutter the IDE will put dots for breakpoints, bookmarks, etc. Right clicking in the gutter gives a context menu for the selected text. VAX modifies this context menu to provide "surround" options. The problem is that once I use this feature I can no longer select text in the normal text window with the mouse. I don't mean selecting lines using the gutter but normal click/drag selection in the main text editor.

Ah.... I just narrowed it down. It only happens if I do the right click in the gutter with no text selected in the main editor. If there is text selected then it works find. But with no text selected I can never again select text using the mouse until I close/reopen the file.
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2004 :  1:20:25 PM  Show Profile
Okay, so there are two "gutter" (former newspaperman too?) areas. The left-most one is called the "Indicator Margin". This is where the red dot for breakpoints appear; you cannot select text by using the mouse in it, and never could. The other one (we'll just call the gutter), is where you can select text with the mouse.

After reading the OP several times, I think what you're saying is that once you use the VAX context menu in the Indicator Margin to choose the "Surround selected code with C style comment", forever after that you can no longer use the mouse to select text in that particular C++ file. Is that it?

If that is it, I can't reproduce it either. You're probably going to want to provide a clear procedure for reproducing the bug (for them to have a prayer of fixing it)...
Go to Top of Page

Dylan

13 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2004 :  1:23:36 PM  Show Profile
Larry is correct.

The exact steps are simple to reproduce it in my environment:

1. Have *no* text selected in editor.
2. Right click in Indicator Margin to bring up context menu.
3. Left click in editor to remove context menu without selecting a menu choice

That's it. Once I do that I can no longer select text in the editor with the mouse.

Edited by - Dylan on Apr 14 2004 1:24:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2004 :  09:52:43 AM  Show Profile
i have just tried this, right clicking in both the "gutter" and the "Indicator Margin", and i have no problems.

i am using VS .NET 2003 and VAX 1229

do you have any other plugin's loaded? does this go wrong with a clean project? different source files? what language are the sourse files? that ones a long shot, but worth asking.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Dylan

13 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2004 :  1:08:14 PM  Show Profile
It is somewhat sporadic and I haven't figured out the exact conditions. But I can make it happen every time if first I open an existing file that isn't already open in the IDE and do no other selecting or moving of the caret before I click in the Indicator Margin.

It doesn't seem to matter what kind of source file or whether I have any other add-ins loaded.
Go to Top of Page

jpizzi
Tomato Guru

USA
642 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2004 :  2:31:53 PM  Show Profile
I have VS .NET 2003 and VA X 1223. If I open a new file (double-click on a project file that is not already open), then right-click in the Indicator Margin, the choices to surround the selected text are greyed-out. Nevertheless, if I then left-click in the text window, I can highlight as normal.

Joe Pizzi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000