Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18941 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2004 :  11:55:24 AM  Show Profile
i am editing a 2,456 line C++ file in VS .NET 2003 using VAX 1230

i am using NextScope and PreviousScope via alt_down_arrow and alt_up_arrow to move up and down one function at a time.

this is repeatedly going wrong!

for some reason best known to VAX NextScope keeps on jumping to line 2,252 (in my current file).

this is the red line in the empty function:

//*****************************************************************************
// protected:
//*****************************************************************************
mtQtPathologyResultBurns003::mtQtPathologyResultBurns003()
{
}

given that i was around line 1,237 lines and 31 functions above this point in the file when i pressed alt_down_arrow, this is serious irritation.

currently i am in debug mode, stepping through the code. i have hit the "Reparse Current File" 3 times since i last edited this file, and it has just happened again

has the code for handling:
#if 0
#endif

blocks been broken again? there are lots of these in this current file. since i am having to re-write 90% of the file for the 3rd time in 3 weeks (hence a degree of irritability on my part) i have used #if 0 #endif to comment out the "before" code for reference.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2004 :  04:48:50 AM  Show Profile
Does the code compile correctly? I'm wondering if there is a missing brace somewhere that is throwing it off the scent.

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18941 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2004 :  06:29:58 AM  Show Profile
the code definitely compiles and runs.

the cpp file used to convert a data file into HTML directly, but simply writing the HTML tags to a String class. now i need to build an XML structure instead and display this using a style sheet.

so i am using the old code for reference, deleting it as i convert it to either XML or XSL. as a result i have lots of functions like:

void mtQtPathologyResultBurns::displaySite()
{
#if 0
    displayHeading( m_strDisplay, "Site - TODO" );
#endif
}

and several functions like:

#if 0
void mtQtPathologyResultBurns::displayReport()
{
    // 100 lines of body
}
#endif

i have removed the old member variables to make sure i don't try and use them.

thinking about this, it is quite possible that there are mis-matched brackets inside the #if 0, #endif blocks *doh*

you know, it would be VERY useful if VAX could add in a single special case for #if 0, and colour / treat this as comments rather than code. i often have reference snippets floating around in #if 0 blocks, since i don't have to remove the comments to do this.

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2004 :  10:23:18 AM  Show Profile
VA should ignore all #if 0 blocks.

Is it only incorrect only after editing the file or is it always wrong?

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18941 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2004 :  11:36:53 AM  Show Profile
*checking*
switched to the cpp file, and it has unsaved changes
ctrl_s to save these changes

at first i was unable to reproduce this, but now i can. it seems to depend which line i am on when i press alt_down

if i am on line 1233 and press alt_down then VAX jumps me to line 2234

this is 10 tries out of 10 tries.

however, if i am on line 1235 then alt_down is fine

support, you have my sympathies on this one!

both lines 1233 and 1235 are inside of an #if 0 region inside of a function. all of the { } seem to be matched up both in the function and in the #if 0 block. the code compiles without any warnings or errors.

i have now told VAX to reparse the current file several times, and it is still going wrong in exactly the same way.

having done this several times, it looks like VAX jumps from line 1233 to line 1234 (which is correct), and then immediately jumps to line 2234.

lets try closing and re-opening VS. that made no difference.

i am going to zip up and email in the cpp file in question support. i am using ctrl_g to jump to line 1233 each time.

at least this is consistent at my end.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18941 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2004 :  08:47:41 AM  Show Profile
this has just happened again, now under 1233

this is very irritating, since it means i cannot trust alt_up and alt_down, so i end up not using them

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2004 :  09:15:09 AM  Show Profile
"i am going to zip up and email in the cpp file in question support. i am using ctrl_g to jump to line 1233 each time."

Did you send the file? We cannot find it.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18941 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2004 :  10:04:53 AM  Show Profile
it is in my sent items dated Friday 23rd April. our exchange server probably lost it. it has a nasty habit of loosing the occasional email

i have just resent it. if you don't get this in a couple of hours let me know and i will email it from home. we really should have a reliable email server at this end, but it seems we don't

Go to Top of Page

Old as dirt
Tomato Guru

USA
246 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2004 :  10:17:03 AM  Show Profile
In my code, which has no #if 0 blocks, it always returns to line 1065 no matter where I start and no matter how far I've gone. This is not a major irritant (yet) because I haven't used this function. The first time I noticed it, I thought that it was taking me back to where I first pressed alt_up and I thought, hey that's neat, but now I see that is not so.
I'm using VAX 1233 and VS6

I just tried a few more things and it seems that no matter where I am or how I got there, pressing alt_down takes me to line 1065.

Ken
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2004 :  11:26:35 AM  Show Profile
Feline, Your problem will be fixed in build(1234).

Old as Dirt, If you can you send your file to support, we will test the fix against it as well.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18941 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2004 :  11:57:02 AM  Show Profile
this is good news, thankyou

Go to Top of Page

Old as dirt
Tomato Guru

USA
246 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2004 :  12:36:53 PM  Show Profile
I just zipped up the file and emailed it to you. Let me know if it doesn't get there.

Ken
Go to Top of Page

Old as dirt
Tomato Guru

USA
246 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2004 :  5:46:57 PM  Show Profile
My problem still exists in 1240. It seems to work unless the last function is large and goes past line 1069, then Alt-DownArrow always puts the cursor on line 1069. I've added lines above line 1069 and it still goes to line 1069. I have added a dummy function at the end of the file and then it goes to the top of that function but when I removed the dummy function Alt-DownArrow reverted to its old behaviour of putting the cursor at line 1069.
The only things above the last function are a struct containing an int and two floats and a global function for use with qsort to sort an array of the structures. Alt-DownArrow works find up there.
I notice that in an earlier post that it was going to line 1065. I just checked and lines added above the last function cause the cursor to go to a different line corrosponding to how many lines you added above the function. The brace starting the last function is on line 68 when it goes to line 1069. Hopefully you still have the file I zipped up and sent to you back at the end of April.

Ken
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000