New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - May 11 2004 :  10:47:50 PM  Show Profile
When the word you are typing matches a keyword, the suggestion list is closed, even if there is still a match in the list.

e.g.:
STDMETHODIMP CLeonLC::put_ItemData(int nItem, long newVal)
{
	m_cList.SetItemData(nItem, ne

At the "n" the suggestion list appears, containing lots of n... items. Typing e the list is reduced to a few items, typing the w now will close the list, because new is a keyword. Only when I type the next char (V) the list will reappear and let me complete the word.
I think that the list should not close automatically as long as there is a match. This can possibly interfere with the "accept completion with any char not valid in symbol" setting.

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - May 12 2004 :  11:40:58 PM  Show Profile
By design.

We close listboxes when you type a valid symbol, keyword or not, so you can enter the symbol and press Tab or Enter without getting a different symbol. You would have to stop and fix errant insertions if we kept listboxes open more often.

One might argue "new" is not valid in a given context, but that requires more guessing than VA X could do, assuming it can be done at all.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.

Edited by - support on May 12 2004 11:43:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - May 13 2004 :  12:13:47 AM  Show Profile
I understand the problems with this design, would it be possible to let the user choose this behaviour?
I, for one, would like that the list stays open in this case.
Go to Top of Page

Cezariusz
Tomato Guru

Poland
244 Posts

Posted - May 13 2004 :  03:28:52 AM  Show Profile
Why cannot you leave the listbox open just with "new" selected when "new" is typed (you can probably artificially add "new" to the list if you know that it's a valid symbol), so everyone would be happy? This would maybe require a special handling of Tab/Enter when the symbol selected on the list is the same as typed.

Cezariusz Marek
https://midicat.net/
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - May 14 2004 :  2:55:14 PM  Show Profile
If you type "new" and our suggestions clear, just type one more letter and it reappears. Not too painful.

As Cezariusz observes, we would have to add artificually "new" to the suggestion listbox. Since "new" might not have been in the listbox in the first place, we would add it after "w" is typed and remove it when the next letter is typed. But, this does not satisfy Uniwares's initial complaint. He wants to select newVal after typing just "new". Having him down-arrow is not better than having him press "v". As well, this does not resolve our issue with users who want to type "new" and EOL. They do not want to press ESC to clear a listbox with "newVal" before pressing Enter for a new line.

Our decisions impact greater those who code in C# -- variables often appear at EOL, ie without other characters that naturally close suggestion listboxes.

Isn't this fun?

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - May 14 2004 :  6:16:09 PM  Show Profile
Dont you love your job?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked