Locate File In Workspace View
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

graemethornton

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - May 16 2004 :  05:53:38 AM  Show Profile
This may have already been suggested, but it would be great if there was a way to locate and select the currently open file in the workspace view. Given that i'm not quite reliant on the ALT-G method of flying around my code, i usually end up editing a file that i don't know where it lives within our project hierarchy. If i could just hit some key combo and it finds the file within the projects in my workspace, and opens up the tree view and selects the file, that'd be awesome!

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - May 16 2004 :  1:49:19 PM  Show Profile
Not that your suggestion is bad, but you can click at global scope and VA X displays your full path in the Definition field. Click within the field to see the basename portion.

If VA View is open and "Include opened files" is enabled in the MRU (Right+Click in the MRU), your current file should be the top entry in the MRU. Hover over the entry to see its full path.

We have considered making Alt+G open a menu even if VA X knows of only one place to go. This might help you, but annoy the person accustomed to jumping quickly. Your preference?

ixBug=64

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.

Edited by - support on May 16 2004 1:55:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

graemethornton

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - May 16 2004 :  2:04:35 PM  Show Profile
It's not so much for finding the physical path of the file that i suggested this. In our game, we have lots of projects (20 maybe) and those projects tend to have lots of nested folders in in them. So i ALT-G around a bit, and end up in some random file. I know exactly where this file is on my HDD, as i can just selct properties from the context menu to see it's path, but what i really want to do, is open up the tree view in the workspace pane to the file, so that i can see exactly where it is, and see the files which have been logically grouped with it. As it stands, even if i know that the file I want is in the 'FrontEnd' project, if that project has a big folder structure defined, it's a nightmare trying to find it manually!

Cheers for the reply!
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - May 16 2004 :  11:04:58 PM  Show Profile
If we understand you correctly, what you want is avaiable in VS.NET.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

graemethornton

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - May 17 2004 :  03:33:01 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for that. Both at home and at work, I'm still using VC6. Maybe it's time i joined the real work

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000