Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - May 17 2004 :  9:04:00 PM  Show Profile
There are days when you wanna cry...

Using ONLY WTL in my projects, I have a variable of type CMenu. The context bar shows me "WTL.CMenu", the definition bar shows me "typedef CMenuT<true> CMenu", yet the HCB shows me that CMenu is derived from CObject and Alt+G brings me - you might have guessed it already - C:\\...\\MFC\\Include\\AFXWIN.H(1080).
Even while in this file, hovering over CMenu shows:

When I switch between AFXWIN.H and my CPP file, things somehow get worse, now the definition bar shows CMenu from the MFC, the completion list shows the members from WTL, the tooltip shows MFC...

Please, someone give me a hankerchief...

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - May 17 2004 :  9:17:22 PM  Show Profile
Same thing happens with any class which is defined in the MFC and WTL/ATL (CMenu, CWindow, CFileDialog, etc)
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - May 17 2004 :  10:01:45 PM  Show Profile
What a relieve: removed all trails of MFC (includes) and rebuilt symbols, now I have the whole WTL/ATL as it was ment. (Just hope I wont need MFC too soon)
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - May 18 2004 :  2:38:28 PM  Show Profile
Your chosen path is the right one. Get rid of all MFC from the IDE settings or do the same in our options dialog after setting Platform to Custom. Rebuild and go.

VA X is nice in that it lets you do adust to your current environment -- even Linux developers use VA X. Unfortunately, we offer no convenient way to switch settings. Not too cool for the guy who works in several, completely unrelated workspaces that use different technologies.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - May 18 2004 :  3:47:39 PM  Show Profile
I cant agree with you that this is the right way. VAX should be able to determine from the project which includes to use.
When there is no include of a certain file in the whole project (excluding for now that one may specify includes on the compiler commandline) then it is very unlikely that a symbol comes from it, even less likely when there is an valid include which declares the very same symbol.
I would imagine it not too hard to detect this kind of clashes, which in the worst case could be resolved by asking the user which symbol to include. Maybe by just spitting out a list in the output window with duplicate definitions.

For now, one has to live with either wrong definitions, or fiddling with include path settings for every project.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - May 20 2004 :  08:16:11 AM  Show Profile
going off topic:

quote:
Originally posted by support
VA X is nice in that it lets you do adust to your current environment -- even Linux developers use VA X.

since i am back programming full time under UNIX again, and for a few more days, what do you mean by this? are the Linux developers running VAX in VS under windows? if so, why?

or are they somehow getting the benifits of VAX under Linux?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - May 20 2004 :  08:40:15 AM  Show Profile
M-x visual-assist-mode

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - May 20 2004 :  09:28:42 AM  Show Profile
Of course we can't speak for all, but we know some of our Linux users have PCs with Windows. They create network drives to access Unix files on other machines. They use a Microsoft IDE to edit. They configure our C/C++ Directories tab so VA X can find all the headers.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - May 20 2004 :  10:54:52 AM  Show Profile
oscillating between MS Word, VIM and Visual Studio is starting to drive me round the bend. i think i will have a go at this.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000