New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - May 21 2004 :  1:30:58 PM  Show Profile
When I create a new project with a new workspace, when I have a workspace loaded, VAX does not "forget" the previously loaded project.
In the new project I still see all files and all symbols from the previous loaded workspace when I open FiW or SiW. Also, when I type a symbol name which existed in the previous workspace, VAX will show the old definition and Alt+G brings me to the old file.

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - May 21 2004 :  1:55:44 PM  Show Profile
http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1068

Yeah, and the HCB also shows stale data. All this stale data floating around is worse than it would appear, because it totally breaks the mental model I (and probably most others) have of how VAX interrelates with Workspaces, Projects, Solutions. My mental model is important, because it's the source of how comfortable I am with the product (and so, how likely I am to reach for my wallet). If I use the thing for a while, and it behaves in ways that I can't predict (because it doesn't adhere to any internally consistent model), then I'm not sure I understand the product. Depending on my mood and level experience, I may decide the program is 'weird', 'flaky', 'buggy', 'rough', etc., when really, it's doing exactly what the developers intended - just not in a way that I can comprehend.

This one really needs to be addressed...
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - May 21 2004 :  1:59:27 PM  Show Profile
Wow, its that old? Its about time to fix that. Cant be too hard to flush the DB in memory.
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - May 21 2004 :  2:18:11 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Uniwares

Can't be too hard to flush the DB in memory.

No, I think it's worse than that... I have a feeling (but I can't remember why, exactly), that they view this as a feature, not a bug... Hopefully, I'm 'mis-remembering' that...
Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - May 21 2004 :  2:44:25 PM  Show Profile
ISTR something about the MRU staying populated being a feature. I don't like that, either. Everything should disappear when the workspace is closed.

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - May 21 2004 :  3:18:51 PM  Show Profile
MRU? ALL remains populated and that is definitely not a feature. It's like your compiler issuing a warning that in line 724, you had an error, two file versions ago.
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - May 21 2004 :  3:34:08 PM  Show Profile
It's more like if the "Bold" toolbar icon in Microsoft Word stayed enabled even when you closed all the documents. It makes your brain think it must not understand something: "I thought 'Bold' only applied to the text in documents, but since it's still enabled, it must apply to something else, I guess... etc., etc., ... "

A lot of this happens on a subconscious level, which is the hardest level to write code for, unfortunately...
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - May 22 2004 :  02:13:14 AM  Show Profile
We agree with all points made.

case=21

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts