Main Site | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
User name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your password?

All Forums
 Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 OT: Aaarrggh! VS.NET IDE crapware strikes again!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - May 25 2004 :  07:49:46 AM  Show Profile
If there's a bigger demonstration of the idea of "devolution" than the .NET IDE, I'd freakin' hate to see it. I am this close to going back to VC6.

The latest glitch is that, suddenly, for no reason, I can no longer "Add Existing" files to the Solution Explorer. No error message, it just doesn't add the file to the folder. So now, I get to edit the 6000-line VCPROJ file by hand, and see if I can figure out how Microsoft screwed it up, and fix it. Exactly how I wanted to spend my morning.

VC6 worked better out of the box on Day 1 than this steaming pile works after two years...

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - May 25 2004 :  10:06:43 AM  Show Profile
i never used VC6, so i cannot compare. i do know that if i switch to another program and then switch back to VS .NET 2003 quite often it has "lost" focus, so i can no longer type, until i click in the source with my mouse, or change tabs

on my home machine setting one project to be dependent on another project has no effect i have to manually add the output of the second project to the first project for my program to link.

however changing to a different version isnt an option for me, since this is all work use *sigh*

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - May 25 2004 :  11:04:47 AM  Show Profile
Go Larry, go. You'll make the last few inches to the point where you switch back!! Yeah. You can do it man. Why bother with that i've-been-a-vb-ide-once crap any minute longer?
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - May 25 2004 :  11:31:34 AM  Show Profile
For what it's worth, I figured out the problem.

This is a (for me) huge project, with about 700 files, arranged into folders in the "Solution Explorer". I didn't realize that someone else had already added the files (in a folder I didn't expect to see them in). Did the IDE pop a message box saying, "Hey, that file is already in the 'XYZ' folder!"? No, it just silently failed.

Oh, and the reason I didn't realize that someone had already added the files is that the linker complained that it didn't have the OBJ file. Well, if the CPP file is in the folder, why didn't it build? Because of a bug in the IDE, of course. And on and on it goes... Crapware, pure crapware.

I would switch back in a second, except for the one useful thing that's actually an improvement over the 1997 version of VC6: the __FUNCTION__ macro. Can't live without that...
Go to Top of Page

SvenC
Tomato Guru

Germany
339 Posts

Posted - May 25 2004 :  12:12:56 PM  Show Profile
Isn't it you Uniwares who sees lots of VAX problems with templates - so I guess VC6 isn't really an option for you as that would not only give you intellisense problems on templates but poor compiler support/compliance for templates

I don't think that the VS.NET IDE is that bad: I e.g. like the VS.NET class view which builds the hierarchie of classes with respect to the namespace(s) they live in. Something I always did with folders and manual drag&drop of classes in VC6's workspace. The folder information unluckily is saved in the opt-file of a VC6 workspace, which gets corrupted once in a while so I had to start all over several times with reorganizing my classes.
Also the ability to have default project settings on a solution which can be inherited an overriden on a project basis is nice.
And it looks as if there is much more to come with Whidbey aka VS2005.

I was forced to work with Eclipse several times: that is really nasty and slow like hell. But again I think there will be many people quite happy with that one also
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - May 25 2004 :  12:26:30 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by LarryLeonard

I would switch back in a second, except for the one useful thing that's actually an improvement over the 1997 version of VC6: the __FUNCTION__ macro. Can't live without that...

/me hastily reconsidering switching to VS.NET...

/me knocking head hard and often on edge of table...

/me launching VC6...
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - May 26 2004 :  07:36:38 AM  Show Profile
does VC6 just stop dead for no reason many times each day?
i have had to get used to VS .NET doing this
its a real sod when i am in the middle of a chain of thought, and everything just freezes for a minute or so *sigh*

quote:
Originally posted by LarryLeonard

For what it's worth, I figured out the problem.

*feline wanders off to look this up in the help*
that sounds very useful!

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000