Main Site | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
User name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your password?

All Forums
 Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Why is suggestion box showing up for var name?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ravensOrb
Tomato Guru

136 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2004 :  11:43:12 AM  Show Profile
the title may be a little deceptive. The issue is that the suggestion box is showing up when I am define a variable name for the first time. For example

catch (Exception E <-- suggestion box shows up after I type the "E" and it default to "Exception".

Since I have already defined the "type" as the previous word, why is the selection box showing up?

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2004 :  7:55:15 PM  Show Profile
Suggestions appear during definitions by design. We find it nice when defining variables named similarly to existing ones.

In your example, one might imagine a symbol named ExceptionOne. Granted, VA X might be smarter and suggest something else with that begins with an E -- that we will not argue.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

ravensOrb
Tomato Guru

136 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2004 :  08:20:53 AM  Show Profile
The problem is, if I type "e)", it changes "e" to "exception", which I find extremely annoying.
Go to Top of Page

Nels_P_Olsen

USA
47 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2004 :  11:39:16 AM  Show Profile
I too run into this situation fairly often, and it really interferes with normal typing. I have the VA X options set up to only accept suggestions and completions with a TAB, but it still decides to use some suggested value that's a completion of what I've already typed, when I then type a non-symbol character like ')', '.' or Enter. For example, I want to type "foo)" or "foo<Enter>", but "fooOne" and "fooTwo" are defined, so it sticks one of those in when ")" or Enter is pressed. Aaaargh ...

In some cases the only way to get what you want is to leave the non-identifier character in, arrow back past it and the unwanted suggestion, and selectively delete characters, so a suggestion box doesn't reappear and put back what you're trying to get rid of. Even then, sometimes the suggestion dropdown appears when you're deleting characters, and STILL puts unwanted suggestions back in!

- Nels
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2004 :  6:44:01 PM  Show Profile
Hmm... We cannot reproduce the annoying behavior, at least not with build 1239.

We accept suggestions with Return and Tab only, ie not with any character. We understand you have the same.

Is there any pattern to the behavior? A reproducible case would make this easy to fix.

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2004 :  1:15:08 PM  Show Profile
More thoughts...

Do you suspect the problem is timing related?

Which IDEs do you use?

Go to Top of Page

ravensOrb
Tomato Guru

136 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2004 :  7:21:37 PM  Show Profile
VS.NET 2003

Editing C#
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2004 :  12:21:26 AM  Show Profile
Typing foo at EOL in C# is fairly common, hence it is reasonable you disable accepting of suggestions with Return if you program in C#.

One does not often leave a symbol at EOL in C++ so accepting suggestions with Return in C++ is fine. You don't have a suggestion listbox when semicolon is at EOL.

Given you program in C#, both ravensOrb and Nels, you disable accepting with Return. This is good, but having VA X insert a suggestion on Enter in any regard is bad. Same goes for accepting with ( or ).

Are you able to type:
Exception e<Enter>

... and see a suggestion listbox for 'e' that contains Exception? If you press Enter, the listbox should disappear.

Can you backspace and repeat the e several times, with different typing speeds, to try and break VA X? Given what you say happens, one might think you could make it break with enough attempts.

Go to Top of Page

ravensOrb
Tomato Guru

136 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2004 :  11:38:12 PM  Show Profile
Ok, I have now being trying your suggestion for the last 4 hours, and I have to say -- It is a really bad suggestion <grin>

I use the <Enter> at <EOL> for a lot of reasons to except the current suggestion without moving to the next line.

What about adding an option to have the ")" character skip the suggestion?
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2004 :  1:40:03 PM  Show Profile
ravensOrb:
We assume you disabled accepting with Return and did not like the result. You do not like being forced to accept with Tab.

Is our assumption correct?

If you want Enter to accept suggestions at EOL, and have enabled "accepting with Return" (we need to reword our dialog), you need to ESC to clear a suggestion if you want Enter to open a new line.

If "accept with any character" is not enabled, ')' should not accept a suggestion at any time. Are you saying it does?

if the problem is reproducible, can you post or email a few screen shots to describe the problem? We believe we do not understand it completely.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000