Technical Support
 VA View - basic design
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ondrej Spanel

40 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2004 :  03:04:00 AM  Show Profile
Seeing a lot of discussions about VA View, I decided to check this feature I never used before. I have to say I find the presentation very confusing. It took me a lot of thinking to even understand what the icons and controls really mean and how it is supposed to work. What I particullary hate is having methods mixed with files in one list, as I almost never use files for navigation.

I see quite a big potential in this feature, but if it should be usefull, I think it needs to be streamlines a lot, to be more intuitive (and perhaps more automated).

What I would prefer is something similiar to the default Class View (which I do not use, because it has proved to be slow and unreliable in our project), but more inteligent (showing me the classes I really work with).

Perhaps a simple view showing items which are currently accessible via Goto Recent method could work fine as well?

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2004 :  6:56:53 PM  Show Profile
We acknowledge the UI is not entirely intuitive. We continue to improve it.

For now, learn more at:

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/vaview.html?more=yes

Right+Click in the MRU to control its content.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Ondrej Spanel

40 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2004 :  02:14:08 AM  Show Profile
A few ideas how to improve it without any necessity throw it out completely:

- I do not use Symbols in Workspace, as Find symbol seems to provide the same functionality, but with a better presentation. Could symbols found with Find symbol dialogoue could be automatically added into the VA MRU the same way they are currently added there from VA View "Symbols in Workspace"?

- would it be possible to add symbols into the MRU manually, by drag and dropping them either from source code or from the HCB window?
Go to Top of Page

Ondrej Spanel

40 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2004 :  02:39:56 AM  Show Profile
quote:
symbols found with Find symbol dialogoue could be automatically added

- or an alternative, with a similiar result: Could there be a new MRU option "Include opened methods", which whould add any method in the source I visit, similiar to the way "Include opened files" does now?
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2004 :  12:56:15 PM  Show Profile
Including visited methods might be tricky, especially for those who keep multiple methods per file. Scrolling through a file with PgUp and PgDown would add a bunch of entries to the MRU. Maybe only the person with one-method-per-file would use the option. Hmm... this person would just enable, "Include opened files."

We will consider this:
Include symbols from Find Symbol dialog

case=121

Go to Top of Page

Ondrej Spanel

40 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2004 :  02:47:24 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Scrolling through a file with PgUp and PgDown would add a bunch of entries to the MRU

As I almost never try to find anything in the source code this way (I prefer navigating using class names), this would not matter much to me - but you are correct, to those who do it would probably be messy.

However I think manual drag and drop to the MRU would be handy.

Maybe you also consider adding classes/methods visited using Goto?
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2004 :  11:05:04 AM  Show Profile
Drag and drop is interesting.

We are less enthused about Goto -- we use it so often. Would dissolve the MRU quickly.

Our aim for the MRU is to create a "working set" without forcing you to do much. We have grand plans to create multiple working sets, letting you move from one to the other. Will need new UI. The current MRU is just a start.

VS2005 might have something in this space. Not sure.

On a somewhat related topic, make sure you know how to move scope.

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/move.html?more=yes

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2004 :  11:23:39 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by support

Including visited methods might be tricky, especially for those who keep multiple methods per file. Scrolling through a file with PgUp and PgDown would add a bunch of entries to the MRU.

the file i am currently working in has 72 functions in it, according to the alt_m list. i am moving up and down this file quite a lot, often using alt_up and alt_down to move one function at at a time...

still, manaully inserting a few key functions into the MRU might be useful.

*sigh* still need more monitor space before i can use VA view.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2004 :  6:20:56 PM  Show Profile
Pick your key methods from the SIW dropdown in the VA View. They'll get added to the MRU.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2004 :  06:39:04 AM  Show Profile
yes, i thought of that after i made the post

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked