Make auto-pairing more aggressive
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chris Nahr
Ketchup Master

92 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2004 :  02:57:33 AM  Show Profile
VA X automatically inserts closing pair symbols, i.e. )]}"', if an opening symbol is typed and the corresponding option is set. That's a very useful feature but I noticed it won't work if there is another character directly to the right of the cursor.

This is occasionally undesirable, for instance when I'm deleting part of a line and start typing in the middle of it, or when I'm using a C# string indexer that looks like this: foo["bar"].

Typing foo[ gets me the closing bracket, like so: foo[]. But now typing " won't get me the closing quotes because there's now the auto-inserted right bracket at the cursor...

The same thing happens when I'm typing a method call with a string parameter: the closing ) is already there, so no closing " for me.

Optimal solution: I would be great if VA could analyze the program to the right of and below the cursor, and insert a matching symbol exactly if there isn't one already.

That's probably a rather big feature request, though, so I'll settle for the following smaller one!

Strings and characters (double and single quotes in C#) are always contained on a single line, so VA could just check the rest of the current physical line for another quote, and auto-insert a closing quote if one isn't there. That would take care of the string indexer and parameter issues which are my #1 concern here.

Whoops, another edit: you might want to look out for escaped single & double quotes and NOT regard them as string-closers.

Edited by - Chris Nahr on Jun 14 2004 03:01:30 AM

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2004 :  06:18:23 AM  Show Profile
if this could work fairly reliably for strings in C++ it would be very nice

adding string parameters to function call sis something i quite often do, and i do miss the auto inserted closing " character.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000