vs7 + vax = crashomatic!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

josteos

5 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2004 :  6:48:05 PM  Show Profile
Hi,

I use VAX 1239 with VS 7 (2002). I have two kinds of crashes constantly. The first usually occurs at the startup page for VS - its dies before I can check a solution to load. It seems like this happens about 100% of the time per session - usualy after a couple of restarts its able to load. Occasionally VS pops up a dialog box about an error at some hex address. Recently it seems like it takes more & more restarts before its finally able to get to the startup screen with crashing.

The second type of crash occurs after I pick a solution to load. Studio appears to load part of it, then throws an error. I usually hit "don't send" and let it retry. This one usually only takes a couple of restarts before it works.

I have a dump log from one of the pre-startup page crashes if it would help. I did not have these problems with prior (non-VAX) versions. The annoyance factor with all the crashes is getting pretty high.

I don't run any other add-ins (other than my own recorded macros), but I did have Merants PVCS version manager integrated with VS for a while (since removed).

Any ideas on how to get rid of the crashes? I have a dump file from the dr.watson process if it would help.

Thanks

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2004 :  10:00:23 PM  Show Profile
Double check for other add-ins using Tools|Add-in Manager.

Zip and send us the dump, or send us a location from where we can retrieve it.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

jkohn

18 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2004 :  4:33:54 PM  Show Profile
I've been seeing these crashes with the last several builds also. No other add-in's installed, it's definitely a VA_X issue.

Go to Top of Page

josteos

5 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2004 :  8:16:07 PM  Show Profile
The crashing stopped for a day, the fired back up just now. Re-crashes every time studio starts. I stopped the drwatson and emailed the exception log in to [email protected].

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2004 :  12:56:32 PM  Show Profile
We are working on the crash problem. It is at the top of our list. Critical.

Thank you for your patience.

Go to Top of Page

josteos

5 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2004 :  1:28:45 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the status update. If it helps, it *APPEARS* that this endless crash cycle can be interrupted by using taskmanager to kill the dw.exe process (the drwatson MS uses to get the crash info). VS will then crash as expected, but the next restart seems to work better. This has worked on the past two startups and actually got me into VS. YMMV, of course.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2004 :  10:49:14 AM  Show Profile
We believe the crash fix is in build 1242.

http://www.wholetomato.com/downloads/VA_X_Setup1242.exe

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000