New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2004 :  05:16:40 AM  Show Profile
When opening a *.cpp not belonging to the current project, VA_X gets really confused, suggesting defined Symbols from the *.h that is included in the *.cpp

Example:
Lets say I have a Project called "MyStopwatch" with a "StopWatch.cpp" and a "StopWatch.h"
If I then open a *.cpp-file that does NOT belong to the Project "MyStopWatch" (in order to check how I have done it in there), while typing I get wild suggestions of Symbols that are included in a header-file of the newly opened *.cpp

I get suggestions like "IDC_TREE1", which is a TreeView in the other Project, included by the "resource.h", but in "my" current project, there is no TreeView and no defined IDC_TREE1 anywhere in my current project (but in the other, not fully opened project)!

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2004 :  6:28:15 PM  Show Profile
remember, VAX isn't behaving like a full blown compiler, it is trying to second guess what you are going to type, based on the surrounding code...

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2004 :  04:39:51 AM  Show Profile
It's not a full-blown compiler, but it should know what's in scope. Sometimes it seems to get confused about this.

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2004 :  05:19:53 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by feline

it is trying to second guess what you are going to type, based on the surrounding code...

I would agree with you if the code would be used within my project, but it isn't! It isn't even "surrounding"... it just happens to be at the wrong place at the wrong time... . It has nothing to do with the project, but somehow get's included into suggestions/completions of VA_X!
So VA_X is assuming wrong...

Just open a header-file from a different project and find all the #define's within your suggestion/completion Listboxes!
I think that's wrong... VA_X should only include files within the current project into it's suggestion-algorithm. It should completely ignore other files, which do not belong to the project, shouldn't it?

Edited by - WannabeeDeveloper on Jul 05 2004 05:21:58 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000