New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gstelmack
Ketchup Master

USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2004 :  4:39:05 PM  Show Profile
If I open a solution in VS.NET 2003, then switch to another app (I like to browse the web and like while I wait 5 minutes for the parse to complete), then switch back several minutes later, it appears as though VAX has paused parsing, and resumes once I switch back to VS.NET. The status line is still mowing through .cpp files. Either the parsing is taking a lot longer than it used to, or this is new behavior.

-- Greg Stelmack, Red Storm Entertainment

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2004 :  5:58:32 PM  Show Profile
We tested 1246 and parsing continues while we do something else.

VA X will rebuild its entire database once in a while, as though you pressed Rebuild on our Performance node. VA X does this to collect garbage space. Perhaps you experienced this extra parsing.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Nahr
Ketchup Master

92 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2004 :  03:06:01 AM  Show Profile
I also noticed that sometimes VA X doesn't properly clear the status line after it has finished parsing, maybe this was the case here?
Go to Top of Page

gstelmack
Ketchup Master

USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2004 :  08:49:47 AM  Show Profile
The extra parsing to clear garbage space sounds like a likely candidate

I know it wasn't the "non-cleared status line", because it keeps going. Lots of files rifle through the status bar. And I know it's not working on the currently open file, as cpp files fly through the list as well as headers.

I'll keep a closer eye on it.

Go to Top of Page

gstelmack
Ketchup Master

USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2004 :  12:25:54 PM  Show Profile
Another data point: just finished a build (so DevStudio has been opened for several hours), then went to add a new file to one of my projects. Using the "Add New Item" entry from the right-click menu on a DevStudio project, I added a blank .cpp file. Go through the prompts to check out my project, and once the file gets added VAX parses a bunch of header files. This is with a completely blank .cpp file.

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2004 :  7:15:42 PM  Show Profile
Another idea...

Normally, VA X watches for changes to headers made by external processes, eg editors. If your checkout touched any headers, VA X reparses them.

The background watching and parsing is done so your definitions remain current, even when multiple people are modifying common sets of headers.
Go to Top of Page

gstelmack
Ketchup Master

USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2004 :  08:37:24 AM  Show Profile
In this case, it should not have touched any headers. Not saying it didn't, but I'm using SourceSafe (no jokes, please) and the only thing it did was mark the project as checked out (I already had the latest version, so no Gets). I'll see if this happens in any other circumstances.

Go to Top of Page

gstelmack
Ketchup Master

USA
76 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2004 :  09:50:07 AM  Show Profile
I might be able to shed a bit more light on this. This morning I started a new instance of VS.NET 2003. Opened my solution. Went and did some stuff for a bit. Came back, and opened a file in the solution. No files were open to this point, just the solution. The file that I opened is a custom resource file for our UI. It's not an extension that VS.NET or VAX recognize, nor does it have anything either of these two can parse (i.e. it should be treated like a text file).

As soon as I opened that file, a whole bunch of parsing took place.

Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2004 :  10:59:23 AM  Show Profile
Right, VAX doesn't start parsing until the first file is opened...
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2004 :  3:14:39 PM  Show Profile
Next build after 1246 will fix the problem with parsing. Parsing will start without requiring an open file.

http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2726

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness

Edited by - support on Aug 23 2004 3:23:13 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000