Main Site | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
User name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your password?

All Forums
 Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Question about migration from 2002 to 2003.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2004 :  03:16:00 AM  Show Profile
Hello all,

The company where I work will migrate from MS Visual Studio.Net 2002 to MS Visual Studio.Net 2003 in a short while.
Does someone have experiences with migrating from 2002 to 2003? What are the difficulties we can expect? (We only use C++.)

Support, what do you recommend for VA X? Do I have to uninstall, update VS and reinstall VA X in the new version?
I don't know what the policy is at the moment, maybe we have to deinstall VS 2002, or maybe not.

Thank you.

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2004 :  04:10:54 AM  Show Profile
We recently moved from 2002 to 2003 and I didn't encounter any significant problems. I expect it reset my toolbars, but nothing more serious than that.

Actually, I'm wrong. I do remember one thing. When debugging and stepping into system files, it would show me the 2002 file even though I was actually in the 2003 file. It just took me to the same line number in the 2002 file, which might or might not be relevant. I think I got round it by uninstalling 2002, which may not be an option for everyone. There might be an easier way, but I couldn't be bothered to find it as I didn't need 2002 any more.

As far as I remember, VAX "just worked" though.

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2004 :  05:45:04 AM  Show Profile
i know that when we moved from 2002 to 2003 there were a load of problems with some of our projects. the IDE will only convert projects one way, from 2002 to 2003, so if there is a problem and you have to roll back...

there is a utility at www.codeproject.com (which isn't loading for me at the moment) to convert projects in both directions if you want i will hunt up the URL when the site starts responding again.

realistically you shouldn't have any problems though, ours were related to using the Qt C++ libraries *shrug*

as for VAX, it works wonderfully in 2003, and 2003 at work is a lot more stable than 2002 at home.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

jpizzi
Tomato Guru

USA
642 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2004 :  1:09:14 PM  Show Profile
Why are you still using 2002 at home? The Visual Studio license is a "named developer" license. You are permitted to install it on as many machines as necessary, as long as you are the only one using any of the installations. Therefore, unless you know how to be physically at home while you are physically at work (or there is someone at home that uses Visual Studio while you are at work), you are legal to have 2003 at home. (Note that I am not a lawyer, this is my interpretation of the license.)

Joe Pizzi
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2004 :  1:30:40 PM  Show Profile
Just reinstall VA X after installing VS.NET 2003. If you uninstall VA X, you lose your preferences.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2004 :  05:38:52 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jpizzi

Why are you still using 2002 at home?

because i havent yet got around to taking the CD's home and doing the upgrade. every time it crashes it occures to me that maybe this would be a good idea, i just dont seem to be getting there.

it seems i can be quite lazy at times

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2004 :  02:21:56 AM  Show Profile
Hello all,

Thank you kindly for your comments.

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja