New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2004 :  10:16:31 AM  Show Profile
Is anyone else seeing this? It's cropped in the last few builds, but I've been distracted and haven't noticed exactly which one.

The very first time I make a mistake, and force VAX to try to find a symbol that doesn't exist, it takes maybe 45 seconds to finish; the status bar says "Searching", which I assume comes from VAX. (I still say VAX messages should be prefixed as such.)

For example, I just typed "m_butto" and hit Ctrl-space. Sadly, though, there is no matching symbol; I was suppossed to have typed "m_obutton". So I get to sit for 45 seconds...

No other ill effects, but it's very aggravating to have to sit and wait once a day...

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2004 :  10:45:58 AM  Show Profile
i have just done the same thing in .NET 2003 with VAX 1246
i have various member variables starting m_str, eg m_strDisplayReason

so i typed m_sr and then hit ctrl_space
by my watch it was 28 seconds before anything happened. the IDE just totally froze

it certainly felt longer than 28 seconds, and this happens to me on a fairly regular basis, certainly it can happen several times a day.

i got no status bar updates, the string "11 symbols found" remained on the status bar, since i had mistakenly typed m_str the first time, and VAX produced a list of 11 items. it was surprisingly hard to make the typo when you want to

i was finally presented with:

which i think is an IDE list box, since no helpful comments appeared.

i have always assumed that all of these highly irritating lockup's are the IDE's fault, since i experienced them in .NET 2003 before discovering VAX.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2004 :  11:28:50 AM  Show Profile
Yet another argument for prefixing status bar messages with "VAX:" - I wouldn't have blamed VAX if I had known for a fact it was the IDE at fault.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2004 :  11:38:51 PM  Show Profile
The style of highlighting and scrollbar tell us feline's listbox is from the IDE. Default Intellisense often takes 30+ seconds to "warm up." Not sure what it's doing -- probably populating, or caching, a listbox with oodles of symbols.
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2004 :  11:22:51 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by LarryLeonard

Yet another argument for prefixing status bar messages with "VAX:" - I wouldn't have blamed VAX if I had known for a fact it was the IDE at fault.

Argument accepted, excellent point!

case=191

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000