VS.NET disappears when running with VA X
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ves

6 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2004 :  12:11:12 PM  Show Profile
Please help!
I tried with VA X builds:1237, 1239, 1246.
Window XP Pro, English, Installed MUI packs but not active for German and French.
Occasionaly the the whole VS.NET 2003 application just goes away w/o any message. Happens usually after a keystroke for scroll or switch to different file by the tab.
This happens only with VA installed.
I have also installed the Numega DevPartner.
Tried resinstalling the VS and VA - did not fix it.
Is there something I can do to log and collect some error info?
Is there anything specific I have to unselect in the VS intellisense settings?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Edited by - ves on Jul 30 2004 12:13:58 PM

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2004 :  12:15:42 AM  Show Profile
First, try deleting the NCB files associated with your projects.

Are you running any other add-ins besides Numega DevPartner? Anything listed in Tools|Add-in Manager?

You should not have to unselect any VS.NET settings related to Intellisense. VA X does it during install.
Go to Top of Page

Mike from reFX

24 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2004 :  06:29:47 AM  Show Profile
I had this several times as well and I don't have ANY other addins installed. Please take a look for stray memory writers in VAX and debug your stuff with BoundsChecker. My hanging & crashing problem steems from VAX and VAX alone. As soon as I remove it, everything works fine. Stop telling people that it's not your fault. Assume responsibility. I've heard *several* people on this board with similar problems, but your first answer is always "are you running other add-ins?" which indicates that you don't really believe these bug reports and always assume that developers like me (who are professional coders for 15 years) can't diagnose this stuff ourselves. If everything is working fine (without ANY add-ins installed) and as soon as VAX is installed .NET 2003 starts crashing/hanging and as soon as it's removed everything works fine again, then there is only one logical explanation: VAX is to blame for crashes AND hangs probably caused by some dangling pointer and other routines use that pointer and write into (now system) memory.

Get your debuggers running and use Boundschecker in maximum mode (even if you can't reproduce). It probably will show you lots of problems in your code.
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2004 :  06:36:57 AM  Show Profile
Mike, with all respect, your answer would be true if EVERYONE would have these problems.

I do NOT (read again: NOT) have any (of those) problems with VAX and .NET 2003!

It does NOT hang, it does NOT dissapear!

So there must be some difference between my and your system...
...and one of the first questions MUST be "Do you have any other AddIns installed".

I cannot reproduce your bugs you find if I don't have the same environment like you!
Apparently, we do NOT have the same, so we have to start somewhere, do we?

I do NOT have any other AddIns, and everything works fine (go figure!).

So instead of attacking support (who, I think, cannot reproduce your problem yet, otherwise they would not have asked) have a deeper look:
What might be different between your system and mine (PIV Prescott Hyperthreading, 1GB RAM, WinXP Prof German, SP1a)?

I'm sure support wants to solve these issues asap (not only to please you, but to please themselves), but right now they only CAN clutch at straws here...

Edited by - WannabeeDeveloper on Jul 31 2004 06:47:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mike from reFX

24 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2004 :  08:08:30 AM  Show Profile
P4 Prescott HT, 1GB RAM, WinXP Home German SP1a + auto-updated enabled, so all updates (even the new one from today) are installed.

I have enough experience with dozens of released projects to know that even though only a small number of users might be affected, that it can still be my code that is buggy. I have had projects like that myself. Sometimes it was just pure luck that it ran so well on 99% of the systems. These bugs are *very* hard to find, but only searching where there it is easiest to do (dort suchen wo das Licht am hellsten ist) helps nobody.

If needed I can post my *exact* hardware & software configurations, so if the people at WT are able and willing to do so (enough finances granted), they could rebuild the entire system exactly like mine and I could even send them some DVDs to image-drive my exact OS including all drivers etc. If they would live anywhere near me, I could also bring in my machine and demonstrate how well it hangs/crashes.

Your logic (if it works on most systems then it must be the users fault) is simply not applicable anymore if exeperienced developers are the users and especialy if the malfunctions are not caused by user actions (clicking on buttons in the wrong order etc.)

Another flaw of your logic is that you assume that everybody with these problems posts here. The number of users who simply hope that it will work for them in the next update or revert back to a previously working version and never ever post here or write a mail to WT is about 10 times as high as the posters! This knowledge also comes from personal experience. I had bug-fixes released for projects with only a few complainers but after the fix, hundreds of users wrote to me that they where eagerly waiting for this fix!
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2004 :  09:38:48 AM  Show Profile
We ask about other Add-ins because the scenario is often a culprit. Invariably, both add-ins use common libraries never tested for use by more than one add-in. If two add-ins conflict, we typically code around the conflict.

We like, and use, Boundschecker.

We agree with your assessment that only 1 of N post such a problem. Most users simply uninstall.

Your offer for a DVD-image is certainly intriguing. How many GB?

Can you enable logging on the Performance tab of our options dialog? Run until "poof." Zip and us c:\\va.log (or post on site.)

The logging option is auto-disabled every restart of the IDE -- done so you don't run forever in logging mode.
Go to Top of Page

Mike from reFX

24 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2004 :  6:39:01 PM  Show Profile
Will do the logging thing. Perhaps this helps you already. If not, I can do the image and send your my details (shuttle barebone model etc.)

Cheers,
Mike
Go to Top of Page

ves

6 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2004 :  09:14:40 AM  Show Profile
Hi All,
Thanks for the suggestions,ideas and help.
I have already tried deleting the ncb file.
I have no other plugins(the tool|add-in manager list is empty)
running on P4 2GHz. 512MB.
It may be something related to the quick switching the source code file using the tabs. When switching while it is still parsing and start paging up/down.
Need to to do this 5-10 times and maybe paging up/down the file in fast mode 20-30 times. Need to have about 10 or more files open in the VS editor. That is how I get it to happen.
The worse thing is that it happens randomly not only when I tried, but also when I try to do some work and than I loose my changes and get corrupted source files.
Even I'm still very intersted in resoving this, I currenly have unistalled it, until there is a new version to try.
I would've tried uninstalling the Numega, but as Mike reported is not likely to fix it.
So far none of our other developers is experiencing this problem.
Is there a way to totaly clean the VAX system registry and files?
The installation must be leaving something behind, since it remembered the serial numbers of the previous versions when reinstalling.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2004 :  10:10:37 AM  Show Profile
Logs files will help debug the problem.

After uninstall, you can eliminate your key by removing the Whole Tomato branch of the registry. It is in HKCU\\Software
Go to Top of Page

naveen

12 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2004 :  5:49:34 PM  Show Profile
I have also starting the same problem on my machine. I opened an ASP.Net project. I hit "Close Solution" menu item anfd boom... VS IDE disappears. I tired it 10 times and same result. Since I have been seeing IDe hanging on multiprcoessor machine due to VAX 1246, i thought this is the culprit on this machine too. So I ininstalled VAX from the machine and after that everything is working perfectly. I have run VAX with debugger attached and it produces lot of breaks in IsBadWritePtr call.

Naveen
http://www.netomatix.com
Go to Top of Page

naveen

12 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2004 :  7:02:22 PM  Show Profile
Here is the message in event log..

Faulting application devenv.exe, version 7.10.3077.0, faulting module va_x.dll, version 10.0.1246.0, fault address 0x0000cba0.

Naveen
http://www.netomatix.com
Go to Top of Page

nalenb

48 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2004 :  11:47:05 PM  Show Profile
Perhaps this is related to this:
http://66.150.196.105/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2743
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly