Trouble typing { } and tilde
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Giallanon

Italy
5 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2004 :  07:43:52 AM  Show Profile
Hello, I can't type anymore the { } char.
I use to type { } using ALT 1 2 3 and ALT 1 2 5 on the numeric keypad but as soon as I installed Visual Assist X I can't do it anymore.
Pressing ALT 2 always put the cursor at the bottom of the window preventing me to type ALT 1 2 3 and every combination involving ALT 2.
I use to have the numeric keypad in "non numeric mode" (IE: pressing keypad 2 will move the cursor down, pressing keypad 8 will move it up and so on).
If I switch to keypad "non numeric mode" (IE: pressing keypad 2 will type 2, pressing keypad 8 will type 8) all works well.

Any suggestions ?

Giallanon

Italy
5 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2004 :  07:45:50 AM  Show Profile
This are my system spec:

Windows 2000 professionale
MSVC 6.0 SP5

VA_X.dll file version 10.0.1246.0
Licensed to:
VA X:
VA 6.0:
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.0.0.44
MSDev.exe version 6.0.8168.2
Devshl.dll version 6.0.8798.0
Devedit.pkg version 6.0.8447.0
Font: Lucida Console 13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 5.81.4916.400
WindowsNT 5.0 Build 2195 Service Pack 4
Single processor

Platform:
Stable Includes:

Library Includes:

Other Includes:

Go to Top of Page

Chris Nahr
Ketchup Master

92 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2004 :  3:14:02 PM  Show Profile
Being able to use Alt+NumPad without NumLock is a special Visual Studio feature. Normally you'd always have to enable NumLock. Looks like VAX is hijacking one key that you'd need. Anyone knows how to change the VAX keyboard shortcuts?

However, I'm surprised that you need the number pad to type {}. Any keyboard (typically European) that doesn't have these characters on normal or shifted keys should offer an extra AltGr key to access them. Are you sure you don't have an AltGr key on your keyboard? And are you sure you can't get one that does?
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2004 :  3:45:42 PM  Show Profile
At least under VS2003.NET it works as expected. I'll check it later with VC6 too.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2004 :  4:23:28 PM  Show Profile
using .NET 2002 and VAX 1246 i can type { } using alt 1 2 3 with numlock on and with numlock off.

with numlock off 2 moves the cursor down, even though i have the alt key pressed. i am not sure if this is normal, but it would certainly be an issue.

with regard to keyboard layouts, i have a DOS 5.0 manual which has a set of standard keyboard layouts listed in the back. presuming these are still valid (its a slightly old book ) the { } brackets don't turn up anywhere on the Italy keyboard

Giallanon, could you use a different keyboard language while programming? or would this remove accented characters that you need?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

ivan
Ketchup Master

Russia
75 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2004 :  5:53:07 PM  Show Profile
With numlock off 2 maps to down arrow. When alt is pressed you get 'alt + down arrow', and this combination moves scope in VA X.

Giallanon you could try to unbind 'alt + down arrow' combo, but the problem here is that it's not listed as the shortcut for VAssistX.ScopeNext in Options / Keyboard. I guess there's simply no way to unbind it, since VA X documentstion says 'If not assigned to any other commands, Alt+Down Arrow and Alt+Up Arrow move scope.'

So, you can try to bind 'alt + down arrow' to some action that makes no sense in VS Text Editor. This way you should be able to get { by typing alt+123 without the cursor running away.
Go to Top of Page

Giallanon

Italy
5 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2004 :  05:20:39 AM  Show Profile
I see no way to map ALT 2 to some action that makes no sense in text editor so I've tryed with a macro that does nothing at all.
Pressing ALT 2 will do nothing.
Unfortunatly this does not work because pressing ALT 123 will result in a question mark (?) .
Anyway, there is no keyboard combination that let me type { } with the Italian keyboard so what I'm doing now is using a set of macros binded to ALT 1 for { ALT 2 for } and ALT 3 for tilde (not sure if tilde is an english word...tilde is the sign you put before the destructor declaration and that I used to type pressing alt 126).
After 10 years of ALT 123 and ALT 125 I found very very hard to change the way I type { } so I realy would like to know if this will be fixed in the future or not (ATM I'm playing with VAX trial version, downloaded yesterday).

I'd like to let you know that Visual Assit 6 does not have this kind of issue.
VA6 let me use ALT 123 and ALT 125 even if, for some reason I don't understand, it won't let me use ALT 126 for tilde (but this is realy a minor issue because tilde isn't used so much as { } are ).

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2004 :  06:46:22 AM  Show Profile
*experiments*
in .NET 2003 with VAX 1246 if i assign alt + down arrow to VAssistX.ReparseCurrentFile then alt + number pad 2 no longer moves the cursor. not a very good replacement assignment though.

so, it is possible to unbind alt down from VAX.

however, alt 123 and alt 125 now insert different characters just as Giallanon found.

assigning alt + down arrow to Edit.MakeLowercase has the same problem. it might be possible to find an assignment that doesn't cause a problem.

i will enter a case for this tonight.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2004 :  3:52:54 PM  Show Profile
case=214

Go to Top of Page

Giallanon

Italy
5 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2004 :  05:55:54 AM  Show Profile
Thank you :-)
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2004 :  5:25:54 PM  Show Profile
According to this layout of an Italian keyboard:

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/keyboards/kbdit.htm

You should be able to type AltGr+Shift++? for { and AltGr+Shift++ for }
Go to Top of Page

Giallanon

Italy
5 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2004 :  05:40:46 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I can confirm. ALTGR SHIFT +? for { and ALTGR SHIFT + for }
Not the best keys combination of the world, but at least I don't have to play with macro :-)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000