VC 6.0 & VA X hang under Windows XP SP 2
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nickhaddady

2 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2004 :  1:10:00 PM  Show Profile
I'm using VC++ 6.0 service pack 5 and Visual Assist X version 10.0.1246.0

After installing Windows XP Service Pack 2 the my VC6 hangs after the following recipe:

1) Open visual studio and open a DSW file
2) Open a cpp file in your project and hit ctrl+o to switch to that files .h file
3) The .h file opens and then VC6 hangs

Looks like a deadlock since VC6 isn't using any CPU or Disk during the hang.

Is anyone else seeing this problem?

Thanks,
-Nick

ubersu

16 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2004 :  5:32:22 PM  Show Profile
Take a look at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130&product=windowsxpsp2 for notes on "Programs that may behave differently in Windows XP Service Pack 2" ... VC6.0 is on the list.

DJ
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2004 :  8:17:00 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ubersu

Take a look at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130&product=windowsxpsp2 for notes on "Programs that may behave differently in Windows XP Service Pack 2" ... VC6.0 is on the list.
My first reaction was, "You have *GOT* to be sh*tting me."

But, no, there is it on the list: "The programs that are listed in this article may experience issues after you upgrade to Windows XP SP2. You may not notice some of these issues."

Or, you may. Good luck to ya...

Go to Top of Page

nickhaddady

2 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2004 :  10:29:41 PM  Show Profile
I was able to stop the hanging by disabling Visual Assist X. I rolled back to Visual Assist 6 and had the same problem.

Anyone at Whole Tomato interested in looking into a fix, I really want my VA back. It's the best part of VC6 IMO :)

Services Pack 2 is good any bad IMO. The security enhancements are cool, but there are a lot of bugs that go along with SP2. The update basically broke some DirectShow components we were relying on for a release. We were forced to delay our apps RTM while we implemented a workaround. Grr...

Anyways, install with caution.

Thanks for the input ya'll
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2004 :  05:02:53 AM  Show Profile
What the...?

Quote from MS Website:
Visual Basic 6
Visual C++ (16-bit) 2
Visual Studio 7
Visual Studio 97
Visual Studio .NET Enterprise 2003
Visual Studio 98
Office 11
Office - Power Point 2002 (German)
Office Access 2002
Office System - Power Point 2003
Office XP Access
Office XP Professional Excel 10.0 SP2
Office XP SP2 - PowerPoint
Office XP Standard
Outlook 2000
Outlook 2002
Outlook 2003

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2004 :  06:17:14 AM  Show Profile
that list is very off putting!

lined from the first page:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=842242

VS .NET will have a problem with the firewall if you want to do remote DCOM debugging.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2004 :  06:48:18 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, but realise that Visual Studio .NET is the ONLY application from my list that is explained in your link.
Try to find all the others I took from http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130&product=windowsxpsp2 on your linked page.

What about the whole Office branch?
Not a single word (or am I blind?)...

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2004 :  07:19:39 AM  Show Profile
nope, i didn't find any info either. an email went around work yesterday saying that SP2 breaks our anti-virus (Sophos) and that currently there is no fix.

one of the programmers at work tried one of the release candidates for SP2 and found that MS Office Outlook (not sure which version) stopped picking up new email automatically. this was caused by the firewall blocking the relevant port.

he said that it was impossible to enable the required port in the firewall, since the firewall said it was to big a security risk.

i am starting to go off the whole SP2 idea. i am already considering disabling the MS firewall when i install SP2, and using my current firewall instead.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

ether
Tomato Guru

USA
130 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2004 :  09:54:53 AM  Show Profile
Yes, disable the firewall. If you have a hardware firewall, there is no need for a ****ty MS one. The only other alternative is to add your app/port to the list of unblocked apps/ports.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2004 :  6:03:08 PM  Show Profile
Nick:
We have a license check that runs when the IDE launches. It's done in a background thread and perhaps it gets stuck. See if your problem occurs without the steps you describe to reproduce it.

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/faq.html#check

Our check is designed to "succeed," i.e. not bother with the check, if a firewall product is installed and blocks our broadcast and/or listen. Perhaps the new Windows Firewall of SP2 makes us hang, though the hang does not happen for us.

Try turning off the Windows Firewall of SP2 just to see if it makes a difference.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000