New Version???
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ravensOrb
Tomato Guru

136 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2004 :  12:57:44 PM  Show Profile
The stability of the current build when working with C++ is incredibly poor, so I was wondering if I/we can expect a new version sometime soon?

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2004 :  1:08:54 PM  Show Profile
Using VS2003.NET and VAX up to 14 hours a day writting, changing and debugging C++ code on two completely different machines, my only problems are the occasional crashes of VS2003 which are not related to VAX in any way.
VAX works just fine and I cant complain about it's stability. Whats the point?
Go to Top of Page

ravensOrb
Tomato Guru

136 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2004 :  1:51:34 PM  Show Profile
For the most part I have been doing C# development about 14 hours a day for the last 6 months and the IDE has been rock solid with VAX installed. I switched over to using Managed C++ yesterday and the IDE has hung 4 times, disappeared while using the VAX code completetion about 10 times. And the code completion combo boxes have corrupt data in them all the time (yes I have rebuild the database 4 times).

So I would say that on my box, VS.NET 2003 with VAX using C++ is almost unusable.
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2004 :  2:18:20 PM  Show Profile
See? Managed C++ sucks
I am using 'ordinary' C++, which might be the reason for the stability.
Go to Top of Page

ravensOrb
Tomato Guru

136 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2004 :  2:40:23 PM  Show Profile
Sound't matter. Its just a text file to VAX.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2004 :  2:48:19 PM  Show Profile
i don't have stability problems with .NET 2003 and normal C++ at work.

ravensOrb, do you get these problems with small sample managed C++ projects? i have never dealt with managed C++, but if you provide me with some guidance i can try it at home on .NET 2002, presuming this version supports managed C++.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

nalenb

48 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2004 :  2:50:38 PM  Show Profile
ravensOrb, is your crash/disappearance related to this:
http://66.150.196.105/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2743
Go to Top of Page

ravensOrb
Tomato Guru

136 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2004 :  2:59:15 PM  Show Profile
Thats one of them. But there are others. Like pressing <TAB> next to a variable does nothing (not even moves the carrett). As well as the corrupt code completion dialogs, and few others that I don't remeber at the moment but when I do, I'll post.

I have noticed all the reported issues for the current build, thats why I didn't post an actual bug report -- just a query as to when to expect a new version. I am perfectly willing to hold off and retest once a new build is released -- but if that is going to be a long time coming (I believe 1246 has been out for over a month now), I'll just uninstall or disable while working with C++ and install/enable when working with C#.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2004 :  3:06:35 PM  Show Profile
ravensOrb: we added you to the private beta list for VA 10.1. The new version will have many bugs fixes, some addressing bugs you mention, and a good deal of functionality aimed directly at C# users.

We expect the first private beta this week.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000