Main Site | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
User name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your password?

All Forums
 Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Turn off suggestion boxes within a word?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DrB

28 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2004 :  4:20:52 PM  Show Profile
When I'm editing within a word, I'd rather visual assist not offer completions...is it possible to configure this?

For example:

double myVar = 1.0;
double a = myClass.A(myVar);

Suppose I want to rename "myVar" above to "myOtherVar"... as I do that visual assist presents suggestion boxes, so I have to keep hitting escape to get out of them. It makes that kind of editing very awkward.

Is there some way to say, "if I'm in the middle of a word, please don't try to help me."?

Thanks

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2004 :  4:59:31 PM  Show Profile
Why do you have to hit escape? You can keep on typing even when the suggestion boxes appear.

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

DrB

28 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2004 :  11:16:01 AM  Show Profile
You usually can't keep typing, because I'm editing inside a word, the next thing I would usually want to do it move somewhere else with the arrow keys...which I can't do without hitting escape otherwise it just navigates through the completion choices.

Is there any way to configure this?
Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2004 :  11:36:41 AM  Show Profile
I don't think there is. This feature was removed for a time recently, but everyone complained and they had to bring it back.

Left and right arrows do close the listbox, by the way, so this may be a workaround. Navigating off the top and bottom of a suggestion listbox (the one with question marks) also close it. But you're right, up and down arrows generally navigate through the listbox.

I think the problem may actually be that completing a valid symbol does not close the listbox. Normally a suggestion listbox closes when you complete a symbol. But when you're within a word, it only closes if the part of the word to the left of your caret is a valid symbol. I think it should also close if the whole of the word around your caret is a valid symbol. Also completion listboxes never close, even when you've completed a symbol. I'm not sure if there's a good reason for this.

I suppose this feature could be optional, but it seems like overkill, because it's actually very useful. Maybe if the various listboxes closed at the right time, they wouldn't annoy you any more.

I'm using 1272 for these experiments.

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2004 :  7:35:08 PM  Show Profile
quote:
I think [a suggestion listbox] should close if the whole of the word around your caret is a valid symbol.

Offhand, we agree. Good observation.

case=343

quote:
completion listboxes never close, even when you've completed a symbol.

VA X mimics the behavior of the completion listboxes in the IDE, i.e. when VA X is not installed. We presume new users are accustomed to the behavior, so VA X does the same.

We do realize that our popular "shrink" option changes the situation. If you open a completion listbox with Ctrl+Space, or open a members listbox by typing dot, it might makes sense to close the listbox automatically if the listbox has shrunk to one item -- the one you've just typed.

Seems reasonable.

case=344
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2004 :  3:43:10 PM  Show Profile
Case 343 fixed in build 1276: Suggestion list in middle of a word closes if whole word is valid.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000