New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2004 :  06:38:15 AM  Show Profile
Sometimes I split the view of a file into two by pulling down the horizontal bar widget. (No doubt there's a name for this feature, but I don't remember it off hand).

When I drag the horizontal bar up again to remove the split, I often find that the screen updates too slowly, and I get an unsightly stack of scrollbars at the bottom of the window. It catches up with me about a second after I stop dragging. I'll send a screenshot to show what I mean.

This doesn't happen when VAX is disabled. Also, I don't think I saw it before 10.1, although I don't use this feature all that often.

I can't reproduce it 100%. You'll see that the example is with a rather large file, which may or may not be necessary.

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2004 :  11:27:17 AM  Show Profile
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2004 :  11:40:39 AM  Show Profile
Problem happens in VS.NET only, but only when dragging upward. Problem independent of file size.

case=348
Go to Top of Page

ivan
Ketchup Master

Russia
75 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2004 :  4:43:36 PM  Show Profile
This isn't exactly the same case, but must be closely related:

I see this quite often when I'm closing a window (e.g. 'Output') docked to the bottom of the IDE with Shift+Esc (provided it's the only window docked down there) - sometimes the horizontal scroll bar just stays where it was and sometimes only its left arrow stays. It only disappears when scrolled out of the view.

Actually I've just checked and it doesn't matter to which side of the IDE the window is docked - just got a stray vertical toolbar after closing a window docked to the right (it disappeared in about a second, though... still, that's a lot of time to update the screen on a 3.2 GHz CPU ;).

For some reason this doesn't happen for all files. So far I fail to see any pattern, but file size doesn't seem to matter.

VS2003, VA1283.

Edited by - ivan on Nov 03 2004 4:43:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

rblondeau
Tomato Guru

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2004 :  6:14:09 PM  Show Profile
I've just seen a stranger occurrance of this problem. After dragging upwards on a 600 line (including comments) file, the stack of scrollbars did appear on the lower window but they didn't disappear.

I was able to place my cursor in the top window and only when I started typing did the bottom window refresh. It gets better yet. When you initially split a window, it displays the same code in both windows. Because of this, when I started typing in the upper window, the bottom window's contents were changed accordingly. The IDE only refreshed the bottom window from the point of my typing and downwards. It left the stack of scroll bars from the top of the bottom window down to where my typing had changed the code.

Weird.
Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2004 :  04:21:31 AM  Show Profile
I may be imagining it, but it seems to me that the stack of scrollbars is slower to disappear than when I first reported the bug.

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000