Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Shai-Hulud

41 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2004 :  05:37:22 AM  Show Profile
Hi,

I've just installed Build 1274 and found out that Completion ListBoxes (I prefer having the VAX ones rather than the VS.NET ones) will only accept the selection when pressing either Tab or Return. I prefer hitting the dot '.' on a selection and continue browsing through members.

The current build forces me to hit Tab/Return to accept the selection.

Intention? I hope not :)

Regards

Kai

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2004 :  06:04:07 AM  Show Profile
This can be changed in the options.

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2004 :  06:06:24 AM  Show Profile
To be more exact:
VAX-Options -> Text Editor -> Suggestions -> Display suggestion lists and accept with -> Any character not valid in a symbol.

Go to Top of Page

Shai-Hulud

41 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2004 :  10:09:57 AM  Show Profile
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I do have all of the three options activated, so it should accept selections using either

Tab
Return
Any other character like '.','(' etc.

This used to work like a charm in previous releases.

It only fails for VAX Completion ListBoxes but works fine for Suggestion ListBoxes
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2004 :  11:21:30 AM  Show Profile
http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/suggestion.html?more=yes

Scroll down to Suggested Bits of Code.

Are you sure those Listboxes aren't showing "Bits of surrounding code"?

Go to Top of Page

Kaegun

3 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2004 :  1:40:17 PM  Show Profile
Hi, I get the same error in build 1272 when using ( to force completion.
Go to Top of Page

Racey

USA
25 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2004 :  5:17:33 PM  Show Profile
I was having this problem over the weekend on my home machine using the TAB key. It occured most often with the box containing "?" in front of the symbol I was trying to complete. It didn't occur all the time, but it did occur frequently.
Go to Top of Page

Shai-Hulud

41 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2004 :  01:28:50 AM  Show Profile
Ok, some news on this issue:

Later yesterday I have created a fresh Solution/Project in VS.NET just to find out that accepting a Completion using either symbol character just worked fine.

So I opened my other solution and found out that it still does not work. Maybe it has anything to do with the transition from 1246 to 1272 to 1274 that my old solution went through whereas the new solution was created with 1274.

May the size of the solution/project be an issue?

BTW: My colleague has the very same problems with that "old" solution

The Completion ListBox is a VAX one showing IntelliSense completion entries, i.e. no question mark etc.

If there's anything I can provide (log, trace etc.) let me know

Kai
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2004 :  1:04:06 PM  Show Profile
Problem appears to occur with member listboxes, i.e. after -> or dot. Problem does not occur after Ctrl+Space.
Go to Top of Page

Shai-Hulud

41 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2004 :  01:55:04 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by support

Problem appears to occur with member listboxes, i.e. after -> or dot. Problem does not occur after Ctrl+Space.

Does this mean it is a "case" and will be fixed in a future release?

TIA

Kai
Go to Top of Page

Valyk

Canada
26 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2004 :  09:32:15 AM  Show Profile
Is the "Auto List Members" checkbox is checked in the "Tools -> Options -> Text Editor -> C/C++ -> General" option pane?

At first, I unchecked it and I didn't had members suggestion listbox when pressing "." or "->", but the surrounding bits of codes suggestion listbox.

After I checked it, I now have the member suggestion listbox (the VAX one) everytime I type "." or "->".

The display suggestion list with any character not valid in a symbol option does not need to be checked.

Edited by - Valyk on Oct 13 2004 09:43:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

Shai-Hulud

41 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2004 :  06:39:14 AM  Show Profile
Sorry, I don't want to be nagging, but was Support able to reproduce this problem and will there be a fix sometime (soon :))?
For me it isn't clear from the previous Support response.

It is rather annoying and wasn't there with 1246 but I simply do not want to go back to 1246 as the 10.1 version(s) offers some nifty new features I would lose when I revert back.

TIA

Kai
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2004 :  6:12:21 PM  Show Profile
its a fair question Shai-Hulud

using the latest public beta, 1276, i am unable to reproduce this problem, so hopefully it has been fixed. that, or i am using the wrong test *shrug*. i would suggest having a go with 1276 and letting us know what you find.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Shai-Hulud

41 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2004 :  02:01:44 AM  Show Profile
feline,

I have just downloaded and installed 1276. Unfortunately it does not solve my problem.

Say you have a snippet of code and you want to enter

Console.WriteLine

When I start typing "Con" and hit the dot '.' I get "Console.", now I hit 'w' and WriteLine is being selected. I hit dot again and the result is "Console.w.".

Even worse, when I start typing "con" (note the lower case 'c') and hit the dot '.' (maybe you have to select Console on the list manually) I end up having "con." in the editor.

Maybe this helps

Regards

Kai
Go to Top of Page

Old as dirt
Tomato Guru

USA
246 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2004 :  11:55:57 AM  Show Profile
I may be guilty of piling on here, but since I installed 1274 I get all these boxes with big question marks to the left of the suggestions and I used to never get them. I have to press tab or return to accept anything from them. Before I only got boxes with the tomato and any ending character would accept the highlighted word. Is this an option I have inadvertantly chosen or is the the same bug Shai-Hulud is describing?

Ken
Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2004 :  12:23:08 PM  Show Profile
The question marks are the same as the old "questionable tomatoes" as Uniwares once dubbed them.

You can change which characters accept suggestions in the options.

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

Shai-Hulud

41 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2004 :  01:50:32 AM  Show Profile
This might be of interest to support: I have just installed 1277 and even though the change log does not explicitly state it, it looks like the problem's gone. My colleagues and I will do some further testing but for now it looks fine.

Edited by - Shai-Hulud on Oct 20 2004 01:51:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

Shai-Hulud

41 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2004 :  02:56:55 AM  Show Profile
So, we did some further testing. The problem still exists. One thing we were able to always reproduce was the following:

static void Test()
{
SqlCommand cmd = null;
}

Now, when you do a "cmd." (for us) it will select Parameters. Hit dot '.' or bracket '(' and it will expand. However when you move up using the cursor to, say, InitializeLifetimeService and hit dot '.' it will not complete. It will only accept the selection if TAB/Return are hit.

On the other hand at random times I do get the same false behavior when I want to accept the default selection on a completion listbox but I haven't found a way to reproduce this, yet.

Hope this helps

Kai
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2004 :  4:01:26 PM  Show Profile
Shai-Hulud, are you using managed C++ or C#?

having entered your test function, VAX doesnt recognise "SqlCommand". according to MSDN this is a .NET class. also, what IDE are you using?

Go to Top of Page

Shai-Hulud

41 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2004 :  4:55:49 PM  Show Profile
Sorry for not being clear enough again :)

Yes, I'm using C# in VS.NET 2003

Regards

Kai
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2004 :  5:35:28 PM  Show Profile
i have tried this in both the standard C# console application and the standard C# windows application. both are auto generated by .NET 2003

using the code:
static void testFn() {
    SqlCommand cmd;
    cmd.|
}

i cannot get VAX 1277 to give me any suggestions after the dot. hitting ctrl+space simply makes the IDE beep. not only that, i have a red underline on static, as if this was incorrect code

i am guessing i have to somehow tell the project, and thus VAX about the SqlCommand class. if so, what do i have to do?

remembering another thread about VAX and C# i have opened the "References" item in the solution explorer, and found i can right click and go "add reference". this is a whole new experience, which is something but i am not seeing any reference to SQL in the the list of .NET things.

as a passing question, why doesn't the IDE want me to indent the two lines inside the function? i thought C# used the same indenting conventions as C++?

Go to Top of Page

Shai-Hulud

41 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2004 :  5:59:54 PM  Show Profile
Ok, no worries :)

Usually you would not have to add any new references to a C# Project to get SQL Server Client support, but you need to add the following to your C# source:

using System.Data.SqlClient;

This will make the referenced symbols available for the specific classes/namespace. As SqlCommand is defined in this namespace the parser should now be able see it, ie. suggest symbols etc.

Regards

Kai
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2004 :  6:15:46 PM  Show Profile
i am starting to remember why i dislike C# bug reports

i have added this using line, and i still get a beep from the IDE when pressing ctrl_space after the dot. in fact, i am quite often getting this effect. however, i am able to get a suggestion list via ctrl_space some of the time, so i know it isn't totally broken.

speaking as a C++ programmer, this doesn't make any sense. it is as if the editor is enforcing strict rules about what i can type where, and since i don't know these rules most of what i am typing is invalid.

*checks*

if i switch to a C++ project VAX is working, and ctrl_space works as expected. these problems only show up in C#

at this point i am open to suggestions, however since i cannot reproduce this bug i am loath to raise case for it, since i wont be able to tell the developers what to do to make it go wrong.

Go to Top of Page

Chris Nahr
Ketchup Master

92 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2004 :  03:32:06 AM  Show Profile
You are correct that you need to add an assembly reference in the Solution Explorer for your C# project. The correct assembly reference for data stuff, including the SQL interface, is System.Data. Ctrl+Space should work then.

Edite to add a tip: On the MSDN Library overview page for any given .NET type, scroll down to the "Requirements" section at the bottom of the page. The assembly that you must reference is listed there.

Edited by - Chris Nahr on Oct 23 2004 04:39:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2004 :  3:19:49 PM  Show Profile
lets start over, since very strange things are going on here.

going back to my standard C# console application, lets compile and run it. i need to comment out a test if statement i had in main, and i have inserted the line:
Console.WriteLine("testing a fn that has sql words in it");

just so it will do something when i run it.

very interesting. now that i have a program that compiles and runs, i am getting VAX suggestions inside the member function Class1::TestSqlCalls()

public void TestSqlCalls()
{
    SqlCommand cmd = null;
    cmd.|
}

welcome to "learn C# with feline", today we are going to try and write the hello world program

it looks as if any invalid code in my cs file breaks VAX's ability to produce suggestions after dots

right, back to the bug report. currently i have accept with any character turned OFF, and i can get this line to turn into:
cmd.Cancel.|

by pressing dot about 95% of the time.

turning on accept with any character appears to make zero difference. as you say, dot will nearly always accept the default suggestion, but as soon as you use the arrow keys dot never accepts a suggestion. finally

case=396

turning back to C#, your early example was a static function. that makes sense as C++, but i was under the impression all code in C# had to be in classes. are you allowed stand alone functions? i ask since static is given a read underline by VAX. either this is invalid C# syntax, or there is a problem with the spell checker in C#.

*experiments* i cannot get this stand alone function to compile, so i am guessing it isn't valid C# syntax?

Go to Top of Page

Chris Nahr
Ketchup Master

92 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2004 :  03:07:55 AM  Show Profile
You can have static functions in C# but they, too, have to be class methods. There are no global functions or variables.

(C# 2.0 will allow the static qualifier for classes as well, to indicate that the class is merely a container for static methods.)
Go to Top of Page

Shai-Hulud

41 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2004 :  03:11:46 AM  Show Profile
feline,

thanks for taking your time and getting into C# for this :) Looking forward to a new version of VAX that will fix the dot issue..
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2004 :  12:43:10 PM  Show Profile
quote:
... invalid code in my cs file breaks VAX's ability to produce [listboxes] after dots.

For C#, VA X enhances the listboxes; VA X does not generate content for listboxes. VA X [full] parses and generates only for C/C++. Hence, at least for now, we blame the parser within the IDE that runs while you edit C# -- it cannot generate content if it finds an error.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2004 :  08:29:48 AM  Show Profile
oh the joy of the IDE . well, at least this means you can discover that there is an error in your C# code before you compile it

Go to Top of Page

Shai-Hulud

41 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2004 :  08:17:23 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by support

quote:
... invalid code in my cs file breaks VAX's ability to produce [listboxes] after dots.

For C#, VA X enhances the listboxes; VA X does not generate content for listboxes. VA X [full] parses and generates only for C/C++. Hence, at least for now, we blame the parser within the IDE that runs while you edit C# -- it cannot generate content if it finds an error.

...but still VAX seems to chew up the dot or any other symbol and will cause (in most cases) the list to only accept selections by using TAB/Return.

[Nagging] Will this be solved in a future release [/Nagging]

Thanks in advance

Kai
Go to Top of Page

Shai-Hulud

41 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2004 :  01:26:26 AM  Show Profile
Just as a side note: I did some download file peeking and tried build 1282. This one seems to fix the problem.

Regards

Kai
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000