New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

xMRi
Tomato Guru

Germany
315 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2004 :  03:09:05 AM  Show Profile
If I use the "Open file in workspace" I can select morethan one file. But if a file is selected, there is no trick to deselect it.
I have to retype something in the filter. And even than the first match is selected.

Using build 1274.

Martin Richter [rMVP] WWJD http://blog.m-ri.de
"A well-written program is its own heaven; a poorly written
program is its own hell!" The Tao of Programming

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2004 :  11:19:26 AM  Show Profile
this should really be in the public beta section, since 1274 is still on beta

using VAX 1274 and .NET 2003 i can select several files at once in OFIW by holding down CTLR and clicking on the files with the left mouse button. a single left click on any non selected file unselects all of the files, and leaves me with this one file selected.

or, using the keyboard, holding shift while pressing the up or down arrow selects a block of files. a single up or down arrow without shift held down leaves me with only one file selected.

are you doing something different?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2004 :  11:39:29 AM  Show Profile
I think Martin means that Ctrl-click on a selected item should deselect it. Otherwise, you have to start again if you make a mistake.

They also turn from blue to grey at unexpected times which I haven't quite worked out.

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2004 :  11:51:22 AM  Show Profile
This brings up an interesting point. Now, I'm too lazy to have used Spy++ to see exactly what kind of control it is, but has anyone else noticed it just doesn't behave like a normal list control? Like, Ctrl-Shift-KeypadPlus doesn't autosize the columns?

Why can't this control just be a normal listview control?? Whatever it is, it seems to have a lot of non-standard behavior, and there doesn't seem to be anything going on that a listview control couldn't handle...

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2004 :  5:07:20 PM  Show Profile
Ctrl-Shift-KeypadPlus auto sizes columns? it does to, which is nice to know if i can just remember this

as for why OFIW is so different, i have asked.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2004 :  2:15:16 PM  Show Profile
We've fixed a few things for the next build. Not all.

We do use the standard syslistview; however, we don't let users give the list focus. If you click in the list, any key you press will cause the filtering edit control to take over. Hence, you can click to select an item but you can't ctrl+click to unselect since the press of the ctrl key causes the edit ctrl to take over.

If we change the UI so ctrl does not cause the edit control to take over, you must click in the edit ctrl to continue filtering.

We are considering some changes. Obviously, we'll try to do what makes sense for this situation, and get as close as possible to the standard UI of a list control.

case=370
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2004 :  10:04:49 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by support

... we don't let users give the list focus. If you click in the list, any key you press will cause the filtering edit control to take over. Hence, you can click to select an item but you can't ctrl+click to unselect since the press of the ctrl key causes the edit ctrl to take over.
Ugh, that's pretty awkward... no wonder it behaves so weirdly. That's why selection flashes from blue to gray... and why Shift-Ctrl+ doesn't work... ohhh...

I can see what you were trying to do, but IMHO this approach will never work right. Just let me handle focus myself - it's very easy to TAB to the edit control. The benefits gained from screwing around with focus are far outweighed by the loss of standard bahavior and of functionality.

(If you want to put the chars I type in the list control into the edit control, why don't you just SendMessage() them to the edit control, instead of all this focus-stealing stuff?)

Maybe a checkbox so we can have it both ways? Just kidding...
Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2004 :  10:17:00 AM  Show Profile
Aaaarrrggghhh!!! You sure know how to wind me up, don't you, Larry?

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2004 :  7:05:37 PM  Show Profile
OFIW dialog acts more like a standard control in build 1277.
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2004 :  09:25:50 AM  Show Profile
*Much* better, thanks! One tiny problem, though.

With focus in the list control, and the 10th item selected, if I hit the 's' key, I expect the first item starting with 's' to be selected and EnsureVisible()'d. What it's actually doing is selecting and EnsureVisible()'ing the zeroth item.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2004 :  10:40:29 AM  Show Profile
case=370 reopened.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page