New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hensz

Germany
26 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2004 :  06:17:15 AM  Show Profile
Hi!

First of all, Visual Assist ist great! What do you think about the following idea:

When you type code the definition of functions or members is shown in suggestion boxes. What about support for code documentation tool syntax style. I would suggest doxygen or JavaDoc style. The description could be displayed in italics, the parameters and the return value could be explained and formated nicely.

Now we have the following situation: If I get a suggestion box the function definition is shown, and sometimes a piece of comment above or below the definition is shown, too - regardless if this comment is a comment for the current function. If there would be doxygen comments you could use them and show the real comment, nicely formated and more compact.

Again, what do you think about this idea

CU, Hensz

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2004 :  06:28:36 AM  Show Profile
Personally, I think it's more important that VA should format code as it is commonly written. I don't find much value in features that require me and all my co-workers to write code (or comments) in a specific way.

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2004 :  1:19:08 PM  Show Profile
Though we like the idea, we have no plans to support doxygen or JavaDoc style comments.

Here is a thread that points to a utility that might help:

http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=775
Go to Top of Page

hensz

Germany
26 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2005 :  07:45:47 AM  Show Profile
Oops, somehow I completely forgot this posting

@Stephen: I don't want the feature to be the only way to comment code. What I wanted was: If there are doxygen or Javadoc style comments present in the code the displayed comments in suggestion boxes could be formated accordingly. If no doxygen comments are present the default comments are shown, as it is now.

@support: This tool looks great. However, I didn't want doxygen or Javadoc writing support in Visual Assist, I wanted doxygen comment support when displaying comments in suggestion boxes.

CU, Hensz
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000