Technical Support
 Location of Alt-G menu
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jfrancis

39 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2004 :  05:57:42 AM  Show Profile
Sometimes when I'm using the keyboard to navigate my code and haven't touched the mouse for a while, the Alt-G menu of choices comes up under the mouse cursor. It would seem to make more sense for it to come up at the location of the edit caret, as that's where the symbol I'm pressing Alt-G for is and my eyes are pointing.

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2004 :  06:12:50 AM  Show Profile
Hmmm. I tend to be mouse-orientated, so I'd much prefer for it to come up near the cursor. That way, you can use the keyboard or mouse to navigate within it, as you prefer.

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

jfrancis

39 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2004 :  06:59:26 AM  Show Profile
But if you've clicked somewhere with the mouse and then press Alt-G on the keyboard, wouldn't it make sense for the menu to come up close to where you clicked rather than where the mouse is now? That's where the symbol that's been looked up is!
Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2004 :  07:08:09 AM  Show Profile
No, it makes less sense to me, because I want to select one of the entries with my mouse. I probably have my left hand on the keyboard and my right hand on the mouse, and I don't want to have to move my mouse a long way, or alternatively move my right hand back to the cursor keys.

Stephen Turner
Go to Top of Page

jfrancis

39 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2004 :  07:28:35 AM  Show Profile
Needs to be an option really.
Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2004 :  07:42:25 AM  Show Profile
Please, no! If I had a pound for every time someone suggested making something an option when two users disagreed, I'd be very rich. But I'd also have a fifty-page property sheet to wade through.

Stephen Turner
Go to Top of Page

jfrancis

39 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2004 :  08:17:23 AM  Show Profile
I don't mind not having it as an option, as long as it can work the way I want it to ;-)

Seriously, what's the problem having these things hidden away on a property sheet somewhere - you don't have to 'wade' very often.

Alternatively make it configurable in a config file somewhere, then you'd never need to see it in the UI.
Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2004 :  09:22:38 AM  Show Profile
I'd rather have no option even if it doesn't work the way I want it to. For one thing, having too many options is a significant source of bugs. But rather than write any more on this, it's easiest just to refer you to a previous discussion on this subject.

Stephen Turner
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2004 :  10:43:17 AM  Show Profile
jfrancis, i rarely use the mouse myself, so i know what you are talking about. it helps to know that when there are two options in the alt_g list (header and cpp file for C++), the cpp file is always first, and always highlighted by default.

so simply press alt_g followed by enter, no need to look for the menu

the second option is just leave the mouse pointer in a standard place, so you will know where to look for the menu.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

jpizzi
Tomato Guru

USA
642 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2004 :  6:12:28 PM  Show Profile
If you want an example of what happens when you get too many options, look at I-Logix's Rhapsody. It has so many options that they wrote a manual just on the options, and they still don't have it complete!

By the way, the Properties Reference Guide (the manual on options) is now at 870 pages!

Joe Pizzi

Edited by - jpizzi on Oct 15 2004 5:36:04 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000