New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rittjc
Ketchup Master

USA
84 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2004 :  3:11:57 PM  Show Profile
If I begin to type or overtype a parameter name of a variable in an "overloaded" method, Visual Assist pops up and assists me with what I wish to replace or insert into the parameter just fine. When the selection menu disappears, I am stuck in the overloaded method tooltip telling me that there are 4 or 5 overloads to the methods showing me the first one. I cannot get out without hitting escape or clicking in with the mouse. It may be just me but this seems highly distractive to the editing process to force me to choose an overloaded variation by hitting enter again, before I can go to the next parameter or somewhere else in code. It is as though I am trapped in tool tip hell until I select a non-ambigous (by existing code) ambigous overload variation, otherwise up and down arrow keys just select between tool tip variations of the overloaded method, and right an left arrows do nothing. I am using 1274. Is this designed behavior or do I have settings in conflict or just a bug?

Jim

jpizzi
Tomato Guru

USA
642 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2004 :  6:14:33 PM  Show Profile
Your description of the "overloaded method tooltip" with 4 or 5 overloads sounds a lot like the VS tooltip, not the VA one. Try turning off VS tooltips and see if that changes things.

Joe Pizzi
Go to Top of Page

rittjc
Ketchup Master

USA
84 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2004 :  7:09:29 PM  Show Profile
That's a good suggestion but I do use the tooltips quite extensively especially for overloaded methods and to track which parameter I am on in a method when entering it for the first time. I don't know how to turn them off explictly, I did turn off Statement completion from Visual Studio and that made no difference.

Besides this, I do think it has to be associated with VAX because I don't think the tool tips feature commandeers the cursor like VAX does (which is desired behavior in VAX's context) and the cursor is being hijacked big-time such that no arrow key will get me out.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2004 :  10:10:58 AM  Show Profile
We have yet to find a way to disable hovering tooltips in VS.NET, but you might try disabling "Parameter information" in the VS.NET options dialog.

In any regard, we could use a screen shot to help understand the problem. Can you post or send one to [email protected]?
Go to Top of Page

rittjc
Ketchup Master

USA
84 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2004 :  9:07:39 PM  Show Profile
Whoops! I just realized that this is in fact VS 2003 behavior (I turned off VAX) and it still happens. My problem was after modifing a parameter of an overloaded method, the multiselect tool tip mode is entered. After selecting a replacement parameter via VAX, VS 2003 will not left you off the line to change the line above or below until you escape to get out of the tool tip mode. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for responding. I should have investigated a little better before posting.
Jim
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000