Auto list box select not working
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BillH

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2004 :  09:26:09 AM  Show Profile
With version 1284 running on VS2003 in C#, frequently the selection in an auto select list box freezes, and doesn't follow what I am typing. Occurs when the list box pops up to allow selection of a variable's method or property. Even typing whole entry doesn't cause selection to change, and once another character is typed (i.e. space) the first entry in the list overwrite what I typed. Only solution is to use cursor keys to make selection.

VA_X.dll file version 10.0.1284.0
Licensed to:
VA X: [email protected] (1-user license) Support ends 2005.08.30
VA.NET 7.1:
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.2.0.4
DevEnv.exe version 7.10.3077.0
msenv.dll version 7.10.3077.0
Font: Courier New 13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 5.82.2900.2180
WindowsNT 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
2 processors

Platform: Win32
Stable Includes:
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\\vc7\\include;
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\\vc7\\atlmfc\\include;
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\\vc7\\PlatformSDK\\include\\prerelease;
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\\vc7\\PlatformSDK\\include;
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\\sdk\\v1.1\\include;

Library Includes:
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\\vc7\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\\vc7\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\\vc7\\crt\\src;

Other Includes:

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2004 :  5:46:21 PM  Show Profile
*doh* i am a C++ programmer, and i have never seen this. however, i don't recall anyone else reporting it either. can you offer any clues on how i can try to reproduce this?

i have an auto generated C# console application that i use for trying out C# bug reports, so if this only goes wrong in large projects that could be tricky.

do you have any other plugin's running that could be effecting things?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

BillH

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2004 :  10:21:11 AM  Show Profile
I don't have any other add-ins installed. I've seen it fairly consistantly with large and small solutions - although it doesn't happen all the time, maybe about 30%. Most of my solutions do have several projects.

I tried a quick experiment: I created a new solution and added a single Windows Form project. Added a single edit control and a single button. Changed the names of these controls to one that I consider socially aceptable (see below). Then I double clicked on the button to edit the "_click" handler. I didn't immediately get the stuck selection list problem but I did get a similar problem which I have also seen. As a former (some might say reformed) C++ programmer I insist on naming my member variables with the "m_" prefix. When typing into the autogenereted "_click" handler for the button I start typing: "this.m". When I hit the shift key to type the under score, the under score appears before I type it but the list box disappears.
I still have that example up: now I type "this.Max" = trying to select this.MaximizeBox. When I type the 'M' it goes to the Maximize box entry, when I type the 'a' it goes to first 'm_' entry and sticks.
If a type 'Max" (it is now at "m_btn...") and then back space to the M it returns to the "MaximizeBox" entry, typing the 'a' swithces it the "m_btn.." entry, very consistant. Interesting it works ok with entries starting with 'A', but seems to fail when I get into the 'B's.

These problems appeared when running a single copy of VS. I have seen another problem when running multiple copies of VS working on different solutions. I have a multiple monitor system and had the copies of VS appearing in different monitors. The tooltip info box that appears when the context selection list appears was showing up in the wrong monitor. I haven't been able to reproduce that one however.
Go to Top of Page

BillH

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2004 :  11:24:12 AM  Show Profile
After entering the previous reply, I notices another thread that was similar http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3222. The last post there cited a new version 1286, which I installed. Seems to have fixed the problem, at least I haven't seen it in about 1 hrs of usage. I'll post again if it re-occurs.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000