Technical Support
 No corrections in speelchecker until typing
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ondrej Spanel

40 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2004 :  04:18:02 AM  Show Profile
I tried to run the spellcheker on my comments for a very first time. It found a lot of typing errors (I did not know my english is this bad :) ), and I think it is a usefull feature, but pehaps I do not know how to use it correctly, or there is some bug with it:

Once error is found, a correction window appears, but it has only one word offered for correction, and that is exactly the mistyped word I typed. As soon as I start changing the word in the edit filed on the top of the window, a list of possible corrections appears.

As I never used the VA spellchecker before, I do not know if this is a bug or if this works as this by design (VA build 1283, .NET 2003).

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2004 :  6:10:56 PM  Show Profile
i am sure that's a bug.

case=464

normally i just right click on any work with a red underline, and pick the correct spelling out of this list. thankfully there are suggestions in the right click list

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Old as dirt
Tomato Guru

USA
246 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2004 :  08:43:03 AM  Show Profile
I often get the standard popup you get with the right click instead of the list of suggestions and have to left click somewhere else and wait a second or so and right click the misprelled word again to get the suggestion list.

Ken
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2004 :  09:47:17 AM  Show Profile
That always happens for me the very first time after I start the IDE. After that it works correctly.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2004 :  5:02:07 PM  Show Profile
Ken, i am also well familiar with getting the standard popup if you are to fast on the spelling errors.

Larry is this right clicking with the mouse, or using the context menu key on the keyboard? i have just tried this and i cannot reproduce using .NET 2003 and VAX 1287. i have tried both methods of bringing up the menu.

i am only closing and reloading the IDE though, not rebooting my machine, so that could be relevant.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2004 :  1:51:24 PM  Show Profile
It's true you get sometimes the standard Right+Click menu for misspelled words. This might happen when you click immediately after a scroll.

Whenever possible, VA X gives the IDE all the CPU it wants to do its normal processing. VA X "steps back in" at the slightest pause (for those functions that "step out of the way.") Finding the misspelled words after a scroll is one such function.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2004 :  12:27:25 PM  Show Profile
We cannot reproduce Larry's problem with Right+Click just after starting the IDE. We try on a misspelled word and get a list of suggested replacements.

Timing and/or state of initial parsing might be a factor.
Go to Top of Page

Ondrej Spanel

40 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2004 :  11:11:00 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by feline

i am sure that's a bug.

normally i just right click on any work with a red underline, and pick the correct spelling out of this list. thankfully there are suggestions in the right click list

It seems this option is not available to me, as I do not see any red underlines on my spelling errors. I have the corresponding option checked (Underline spelling errors in comments and string with "Red"), but I do not see any underlines until I enable syntax coloring, which I cannot get used to, being quite happy with the default VS coloring.

I would not like to have to switch only because of this - I am not sure if I am dreaming it, but I think in some older version the underlining worked without ennanced coloring. I can understand if this is by design, but if it really is, the corresponding options should be disabled/grayed when Enhanced coloring is off (none of the four underline/highlight options is currenlty working for me without syntax highlighting).
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2004 :  1:14:53 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ondrej Spanel

I have the corresponding option checked (Underline spelling errors in comments and string with "Red"), but I do not see any underlines until I enable syntax coloring, which I cannot get used to, being quite happy with the default VS coloring.
^

Ondrej, so you do get the red underlines as soon as you enable enhanced Syntax coloring?

If so, we have a very precise clue here:
VAX doesn't underline spelling-errors when Enhanced Syntax-coloring is disabled.

Go to Top of Page

Ondrej Spanel

40 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2004 :  04:10:25 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by WannabeeDeveloper
Ondrej, so you do get the red underlines as soon as you enable enhanced Syntax coloring?

Yes, I do (I though I already wrote that, but perhaps I was not clear enough).

quote:
VAX doesn't underline spelling-errors when Enhanced Syntax-coloring is disabled.

Yes, this is what I see. What I am not sure is - is this by design, or is this a bug? If it is by design, the underline/highligh options should not be available to the user once Syntax coloring is off.
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2004 :  06:58:45 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ondrej Spanel

quote:
Originally posted by WannabeeDeveloper

Yes, I do (I though I already wrote that, but perhaps I was not clear enough).

quote:

Yes, this is what I see. What I am not sure is - is this by design, or is this a bug? If it is by design, the underline/highligh options should not be available to the user once Syntax coloring is off.

That one is case=478

Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2004 :  09:09:01 AM  Show Profile
It's very flaky - most of the time, the first time I right-click (using the mouse, never the keyboard) on a mispelled word, I get the spelling menu. Sometimes, though, I get the VAX context menu. I'll keep looking for a pattern...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000