Macro Expansion Tootips
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bli_cos

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2004 :  1:14:55 PM  Show Profile
I am currently trying to wrap my head around MFC and find my brain being tied into a pretzel trying to follow the nesting of macros.

It is nice that the macro definition is shown as a tooltip when you hover over an instance of it in your code, but it would be much more useful if it actually performed the macro expansion and showed you what the preprocessor was going to generate for the compiler. Better still would be having the ability to toggle between one step expansion and recursive expansion, where macro calls inside the macro definition are themselves expanded. Then the MFC macros would make so much more sense!

While i'm at it, it would be nice if the \\ delimiters in macros were replaced with carriage returns in the tooltip, rather than simply being stripped out (is this a bug or a design decision to keep them small?). In fact, considering the state of most of the MFC macros that i have come accross, it would be nice if some kind of sanity formatting filter was applied to the expanded macro before it was shown... better wind up the resolution of your monitors if this ever happens!

Anyway, i know i'm not asking for much, but seeing as all you WholeTomato coders are such gurus, i'm sure you'll manage it :)

Great product btw.

Cheers,
Scott

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2004 :  7:22:05 PM  Show Profile
Alas, VA X tries to resolve macros just enough to make sense during edit. By design, macros are not resolved to base types, particularly for MFC.

As a general rule, macros defined using () are resolve one level when a symbol uses the macro in its definition.

You are probably best served by our Goto Implementation command. Alt+G by default.

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/goto.html?more=yes
Go to Top of Page

Bli_cos

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2004 :  06:39:17 AM  Show Profile
It doesn't seem to resolve it in any way, only regurgitates the macro definition in the tooltip - is that what you mean by 'are not resolved to base types?

Any chance of this feature in future versions?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000