New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dadi

Israel
4 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2004 :  07:44:25 AM  Show Profile
Hi,

I'm using Visual Assist for a few years now and its excellent.
Usualy my workspace is loaded with lots of projects and the projects has thousands of files.

There are two features that are totally missing in Visual Assist:

1. A single window to find symbols AND files (a merge between the two).

2. Finding multiple in-string text in the above window. E.g. typing "comm gen" will find the function SendGenericScriptCommand() and all the other matches.

Current search is very limited becouse specifying single string for functions or symbols can focus lots of results (in cases of a big projects)

Note: These features are currently implemented on a different tool called WorkspaceWhiz and this is the only reason I registered for WorkspaceWhiz and using it. It has a Find Tag window and every tag has a different type such as "Defines", "Enums", "Functions", "File", etc... and the user can even filter the type of tags.

Best Regards,
Eldad Kuperman
Texas Instruments

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2004 :  3:07:33 PM  Show Profile
improving the searching in OFIW and FSIW is on the todo list for VAX, and is requested every now and then, by me as well as several other people

why would you want to see files and symbols in the same list? off hand that sounds confusing rather than helpful.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Dadi

Israel
4 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2004 :  03:11:41 AM  Show Profile
Filenames and symbols should be at the same dialog box for the same reason that functions, enums and defines are in the same window.

I thought the same as you until I started using WorkspaceWhiz. Futhermore, WorkspaceWhiz still gives additional separate buttons one for files and a second one for symbols.

Simply to say, After I started using the combined dialog box I realized the simplicity. Any search is always done at the same dialog box, the same button and the same keyboard shortcut. Because of multiple in-string search I can type ".c" and get all the source files filtered (in addition to a "type" filter combobox).

Is there any chance of knowing when to expect these TODO features?
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2004 :  1:57:09 PM  Show Profile
Unfortunately, we have no estimate for completion of the improvements.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000